understanding this (dmc c compiler)

Seebs

I THINK it should be NOT SO HARD

Well, the thing is.

You're asking for help because you don't understand the code. Which means
you don't actually know what it takes to understand the code. So maybe you
should take my word for it that it would be a lot of work to figure out
how it works and explain it.
for someone who have some general knovledge in compiler
writing (and reversing it may be no so idle
could give some insights too ) also I never
saw a smaller/simpler c (or simpler-c)
compiler than this one (if someone knows
some simpler to understand you can tell me )
(maybe some easy to read articles aboud handwriting simple c-dialect compilers?)

So, I was hanging out under a street light, looking intently at the ground,
and a guy asked me what I was doing. "I'm looking for a coin. I dropped it
over there." I pointed at a dim alley about two hundred feet away. "So, if
you dropped it over there, why are you looking here?" "Light's better."

Trying to understand a compiler that is neither for C, nor written in C,
is not going to do you much good. If compilers are too complicated (which
they probably are), it might make sense to study something other than
compilers until you understand C a lot better.

Me, I learned C from roguelikes.

-s

Stephen Sprunk

fir said:
extern swp[], isn, swtab[], printf, deflab, statement, brklab;
extern label;

It is difficult to try to understand something as complex as a
compiler with just one little part. Still...

I believe that the [] notation is what today would be *swp, *swtab.

It stayed legal for function parameters, but not for other variables.

Ah, that explains that oddity in modern C.
Now the isn is used as a label in the assembly code.
The DEC assemblers normally expect octal, but these are labels,
which can be whatever symbolic names the person (or program)
generating the code wants to use.

Is this, perhaps, the basis of why GCC uses L#### for labels, with the
number being the ISN? I'd idly wondered about that for years.

Thanks; I learned two things today, which is more than my quota for
Sundays :)

glen herrmannsfeldt

(snip, I wrote)
Is this, perhaps, the basis of why GCC uses L#### for labels, with the
number being the ISN? I'd idly wondered about that for years.

Reminds me of a story from when I took a compiler class, a little
less than 40 years ago.

Story is that one group wrote a compiler that generated assembly
code with labels of the form XXXXnnnn. That is, four X's followed
by a four digit number.

At the same time, the assembler group wrote the assembler that hashed
symbols using only the first four characters of the name. Oops.

-- glen

BartC

I THINK it should be NOT SO HARD for someone who have some general
knovledge in compiler
writing (and reversing it may be no so idle
could give some insights too ) also I never
saw a smaller/simpler c (or simpler-c)
compiler than this one (if someone knows
some simpler to understand you can tell me )
(maybe some easy to read articles aboud handwriting simple c-dialect
compilers?)

I've written loads of compilers of my own. But I have tremendous problems
following my own code after being away from it for a couple of months, let
alone for decades, and of someone else's compiler, and in an obsolete
language.

It's the bigger picture that is needed, not just some tiny fragment of code.

Perhaps look at some other, more recent, and better documented compiler
sources, then go back to that one. (And remember very old compilers might
have needed to work differently because of memory constraints: a single pass
for example, or multiple discrete passes, whatever.)

Mark Bluemel

I THINK  it should be NOT SO HARD for someone who have some general knovledge in compiler
writing (and reversing it may be no so idle
could give some insights too ) also I never
saw a smaller/simpler c  (or simpler-c)
compiler than this one (if someone knows
some simpler to understand you can tell me )
(maybe some easy to read articles aboud handwriting simple c-dialect compilers?)

This group, mainly, considers the C language not compilers. It is not
really a suitable place to seek compiler development tuition, least of
all for a compiler which (again) is neither written in, nor compiles,
what we now regard as C.

If you want to learn about compiler writing. I suggest you try the
comp.compilers newsgroup. There will probably be more compiler writing
expertise there than there is here.

If for some reason you want to learn about the specific compilers on
the webpage you cite, you should hold a seance and try to contact the
spirit of Dennis Ritchie to discuss it.

Waldek Hebisch

fir said:
W dniu niedziela, 26 maja 2013 19:27:27 UTC+2 u?ytkownik fir napisa?:

for example what does do this ->

pswitch() {

Generally, the compiler handles differently expressions and
all other constructs. First part of compiler is lexical
analyser, namely 'symbol()' function in c00.c -- this
function returns code of current symbol. Parsing mostly
uses recursive descent method, for example 'statement()'
function is responsible for parsing (and generating code!)
of a single (possibly compound statemnt). Expressions
are parsed using priority based parsed (the 'tree()'
function) building parse trees which are stored in a
temporary file for the second pass. The first pass
produces assembly code for most constructs. However,
for expressions instead of real code the '#' sign
is printed to assembly file (and tree is stored in the
temporary file). The 'pswitch' routine is responsible
for parsing and generating code for body of switch
expression. It is called after the 'switch (....)'
part has been handled. In particular code which
computes value to switch on is already generated.
First part of 'pswitch()' handles variables: info about
switch cases is stored in the global array 'swtab',
the 'swp' variable points to info abit current switch.
'deflab' variable stores label number of default
label of current switch, brklab stores label number
of label ending current switch. 'pswitch()' stores
info about (possible) surrounding switch in its
local variables, so that it can restore it at the
end -- that way switches can nest. Note 'pswitch()'
restores 'swp' and 'deflab' while 'brlab' is
restored by code calling 'pswitch()'. After
setting up variables 'pswitch()' generates code
to perform actual switch, using:

printf("jsr pc,bswitch; l%d\n", swlab);
^^^^
label
I know only little about PDP-11 assembly but this seem
to be call to a subroutine resposible for performing
actual switch action. When 'jsr' is executed
value to be switched on is in machine register.
Apparently the label after the 'jsr' instruction serves
as the second argument. More precisely, assembler is
supposed to replace label by corresponding address.
This addres points to table of pairs (constant, address)
were constants correspond to cases, while address is
addres of code for the case. After emmiting the
'jsr' instruction and setting variables 'pswitch()'
calls 'statement(0)' to parse swich body (which is
a single (usuallly compound) C statement). 'statement'
generates code for the body. When 'statement' meets 'case'
it generates (emits) a new label and puts (constant, label)
pair in place pointed by 'swp' and increments 'swp' to
point to free space. When 'statement' meets 'break' it
generates jump to 'brklab'. After 'statement' finished
its work 'pswitch()' first checks if it needs add
defalut label (if there is no explicit defaut case in
the switch the compiler must add a fake one). Then
it emits 'brklab' and then emits
table of data used by 'jsr'. The '.data' assembler
directive means that corresponding output will be
put in "data space" so that it is not mistaken as
instructions. After emmiting table of
switch data 'pswitch()' emits '.text' assembler
directive which means that after it there will be
code (assembly instructions). Then 'pswitch()'
restores variables and returns.