Universal Selector to gain browser uniformity

Jan Clemens Faerber

* {margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;}

put it into the css file and you should get a more uniform appearance of you file in different browsers

that's it?

Tim W

* {margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;}

put it into the css file and you should get a more uniform appearance of you file in different browsers

that's it?

Wot? instead of those long, elaborately constructed and over discussed
reset things? surely not.

Tim W

Gus Richter

* {margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;}
put it into the css file and you should get a more uniform appearance of you file in different browsers

Since version 9, Opera switched to default 8px margin instead of 8px
padding on the body element. All browsers since then display the same
regarding margin and padding.
Border? I recall no differences therein.
that's it?

What's it?
Together with some other default values for e.g. lists where Opera had
different defaults than the rest of the world, since version 9, Opera
and all other browsers have same default values.
Me thinks you're a little behind the times.

dorayme

And put you to more trouble than necessary. So that you can achieve a
sort of pixel perfect identity across browsers? So that you don't
displease that the God of Websites who sits in a room filled with
monitors, each with a different browser on it, checking such things?

Jan Clemens Faerber

Since version 9, Opera switched to default 8px margin instead of 8px

padding on the body element. All browsers since then display the same

regarding margin and padding.

Border? I recall no differences therein.

What's it?

Together with some other default values for e.g. lists where Opera had

different defaults than the rest of the world, since version 9, Opera

and all other browsers have same default values.

Me thinks you're a little behind the times.

Ok - thank you all for your replies.
Me I go according with your point of views.
Unfortunately I don't have much webdesign knowledge
but this "browser trick" seemed a little bit -
how should I call it? - ... a little bit
hm... like it is not enough.