unusual behaviour of perl script compiled with perlapp on hp-ux11i

strepxe

i've compiled a perl script using perlapp on hp-ux11i (not really what
i wanted to do but makes it much simpler installing on customer
system). have noticed a difference in behaviour which is causing a bit
of a problem.
the perl script, AZB.pl takes a number of arguments and runs in the
background. A typical invocation of the script would be

#nohup ./ABZ.pl -i 10 -a 20 &

The script runs in the background, and you can see it operating by
issuing a ps which gives the following typical output:

.... /usr/bin/perl -w ABZ.pl -i 10 -a 20

This is good. However, when I compile using perlapp and execute the
binary as follows:

#nohup ./ABZ -i 10 -a 20 &

I get the following output from my ps command:

............. ABZ

Basically it does not show any of the arguments in the command
description. The binary itself performs as expected and does appear to
have acted on the arguments supplied in the command line which is good.
However, I need this information for other scripts which we use to
manage components.

I've managed to get around this by writing a ksh wrapper which takes
arguments and passes them to the binary but its not really desirable.
I'd really like to understand the reason why the process list in UNIX
does not record the arguments.

I'm at home today but will update this posting with exact outputs from
the ps command when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Any guidance appreciated!

Anno Siegel

i've compiled a perl script using perlapp on hp-ux11i (not really what
i wanted to do but makes it much simpler installing on customer
system). have noticed a difference in behaviour which is causing a bit
of a problem.
the perl script, AZB.pl takes a number of arguments and runs in the
background. A typical invocation of the script would be

#nohup ./ABZ.pl -i 10 -a 20 &

The script runs in the background, and you can see it operating by
issuing a ps which gives the following typical output:

.... /usr/bin/perl -w ABZ.pl -i 10 -a 20

This is good. However, when I compile using perlapp and execute the
binary as follows:

#nohup ./ABZ -i 10 -a 20 &

I get the following output from my ps command:

If HPUX supports it (recent ones do, I believe), you can assign to $0,
and what you put there will appear in the ps output. Need I say more?

Anno