update a large number of records from web interface

Guest

Hi,

I'm faced with a classic problem of how to update a large number of
records from a web page. I;m trying to build an interface that will
display recordset in the order of 3000 rows and allow the user to edit and
update records from that interface. I have cached some static lists in
the page but the main recordset should reflect updated data so it can't
be cached. I also compute some control functions over the whole data.
This will let the user validate the data he has input/updated. I can't
use paginataion because the client wants to see all of his records at
once. I allow filtering by some parameters but that reduces the dataset to
only abt 900-1200 records.

The datagrid takes a long time to render so many rows. I haven't used
OWC spreadsheet control before. Would it scale to support these many
records? The client can't be weaned off his Excel spreadsheet and wants a
similar look and feel in the web interface.
Can anybody point me to a client -side control that will display a
large number of records efectively?
I apologise for this naive interpretation of a much worked problem. I
would appreciate any inputs or ideas on how I can updated a large number
of records from a web front-end.
Thanks
Priya

Eliyahu Goldin

If you are after the Excel look and feel, note that OWC is depricated.
Microsoft will be offering a technology called Excel Services which is a
part of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. It has been designed to
scale and perform on a server. But it as not going to be a replacement for
OWC from the functionality perspective and it is not free anymore.

Paul Cheetham

Hi,

I recommend taking a look at the Telerik RadControl suite.
The Grid control will update using AJAX and so only show the rows
required, and it has built in features like filtering and sorting.

Check it out at www.telerik.com

Paul