update on Code Signing Certificates

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Dec 27, 2012.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I was updating my page at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificatevendors.html
    on code signing certificate vendors and discovered some good news.

    1. prices for code-signing certs are dropping. For example, Ksoftware
    has Comodo certs for $95 a year, even less for multiyear.

    2. Certs are becoming more multipurpose. For example that Ksoftware
    cert can be used for Java, PADs, Authenticode, MS exe, dll, cab, Adobe
    Air, MS Office, VBA, Mozilla objects, Apple MacOS and OSX,
    Silverlight. etc.

    This bundling more accurately reflects costs. The cost of a
    certificate is in the research to prove you are who you claim to be. I
    would expect over time for multi-year certs to drop in cost further
    and renewals to drop too.

    Oracle has changed the wording for granting permission to self-signed
    certs to deprecate them even further. The price is now low enough for
    me to buy a real cert for 2013. Now if I could only explain to my
    sisters what I did with their Christmas cash gift.

    With JDK 1.7.0_10, Oracle changed the default so that untrusted
    sandbox Applets are treated with even more disdain than signed ones.
    It think they are pushing everyone to sign everything whether they
    need it or not. It makes no sense. I put in a bug report.

    Roedy Green, Dec 27, 2012