update on Code Signing Certificates

Roedy Green

I was updating my page at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/certificatevendors.html
on code signing certificate vendors and discovered some good news.

1. prices for code-signing certs are dropping. For example, Ksoftware
has Comodo certs for $95 a year, even less for multiyear.

2. Certs are becoming more multipurpose. For example that Ksoftware
cert can be used for Java, PADs, Authenticode, MS exe, dll, cab, Adobe
Air, MS Office, VBA, Mozilla objects, Apple MacOS and OSX,
Silverlight. etc.

This bundling more accurately reflects costs. The cost of a
certificate is in the research to prove you are who you claim to be. I
would expect over time for multi-year certs to drop in cost further
and renewals to drop too.

Oracle has changed the wording for granting permission to self-signed
certs to deprecate them even further. The price is now low enough for
me to buy a real cert for 2013. Now if I could only explain to my
sisters what I did with their Christmas cash gift.

With JDK 1.7.0_10, Oracle changed the default so that untrusted
sandbox Applets are treated with even more disdain than signed ones.
It think they are pushing everyone to sign everything whether they
need it or not. It makes no sense. I put in a bug report.