Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008 SP1

python

I just stumbled across the following page which seems to indicate that
the MS VC 2008 runtime files[1] required to distribute Python
applications compiled with Py2exe and similar tools can be shipped
without the license restriction many previously thought.

See: Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008
SP1
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB956414

<quote>
The End User License Agreement (EULA) attached to the English version of
Visual C++ (VC) Redistributable Package (VCRedistx86.exe,
VCRedistx64.exe, and VCRedist_ia64.exe) in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
does not let you redistribute the VC Redist files. It specifies that you
may only install and use one copy of the software.

----> The correct EULA allows installation and use of any number of
copies of the VC Redist packages. <----

CAUSE

This problem occurs when Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installs incorrect VC
Redist files that have the wrong EULAs to the computer.
</quote>

I know there's been lots of confusion about whether developers can ship
these DLL files directly or whether developers must ship the Visual C++
2008 Redistributable Package SP 1 files (vcredist_x86.exe or
vcredist_x64.exe) - I think the above article should settle this debate
once and for all.

Malcolm

1. MS VC 2008 runtime files: msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcm90.dll

Andrej Mitrovic

[...]

The article links to this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956414

In that article, under the More Information, it reads:

APPLIES TO

* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Load Agent
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Academic Edition
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications Software
Development Kit

I don't think this license agreement change involves the express
editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

python

Andrej,
I don't think this license agreement change involves the express editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I don't know.

[...]

Hi Tim,
The license agreement change fixes a problem that was accidentally introduced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1. The redistributable package that can
be downloaded directly from Microsoft (which you would use if you had
the Express Edition) has the right license to begin with. It never had
the
restriction. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235299.aspx.
Microsoft's intent is that you be able to distribute the non-debug
runtimes with any applications built with Visual Studio.

Original poster here. Thanks for your insight!
They are evil, but not arbitrarily malicious.

:)

Regards,
Malcolm

I don't think this license agreement change involves the express
editions, which are free. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

The license agreement change fixes a problem that was accidentally
introduced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1. The redistributable package that
can
be downloaded directly from Microsoft (which you would use if you had
the
Express Edition) has the right license to begin with. It never had the
restriction.

Microsoft's intent is that you be able to distribute the non-debug
runtimes
with any applications built with Visual Studio. They are evil, but not
arbitrarily malicious.

CM

The license agreement change fixes a problem that was accidentally
introduced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1.  The redistributable package that can
be downloaded directly from Microsoft (which you would use if you had the
Express Edition) has the right license to begin with.  It never had the
restriction.

Microsoft's intent is that you be able to distribute the non-debug runtimes
with any applications built with Visual Studio.  They are evil, but not
arbitrarily malicious.

Just to be clear: are you saying that if one has Visual Studio 2008
Express Edition (the free one), one then has the right to redistribute
the necessary dlls for using py2exe to make working Python 2.6
executables?

Thanks,
Che