UpdatePanel, LinkButtons and RegisterAsyncPostBackControl

jack

Hi folks,
I got a custom control, in which it's placed inside the UpdatePanel.
The control contains some LinkButtons which post back to the same
page. Actually, when these LinkButtons are clicked, the entire page is
refreshed which is not the desired effect. I only need the UpdatePanel
to be refreshed.

So, I decided to search the net to solve the issue. I just found that
when the LinkButtons are registered for the PostBacks, the UpdatePanel
is just refreshed, not the entire page. i.e., if I call the following
line of code for each LinkButton, the UpdatePanel will be refreshed
only.

this.ScriptManager1.RegisterAsyncPostBackControl(linkButton);

However, I would like to know

1. Is this actually the way to go?
2. Would you please let me know what the above function really does?

Thanks in advance,
Jack