Updating deployed web site

Guest

I'm looking for a 'best practices' method for doing updates to an already existing web site (ASP.NET)
Let's say I have modified 5 .aspx pages (several layers deep inside various folders) along with the project's main assembly and now I want to 'update' the production server
I could build a new install file(.msi), however, I would probably have to uninstall the existing application everytime(along with making sure I don't override the web.config file). I could do an XCOPY but then I would have to remove the code-behind files(.vb) afterwards(along with copying many unneccesary files)

This seems like it would be a pretty common issue however I have not seen any discussions as to its resolution

Thank you for your hel

paul

Curt_C [MVP]

COPY-PROJECT from the menu may work for you but if you dont want to override
the web.config then you are going to have to do it manually. I just wrote a
simple .BAT that copies it all up to the prod server, specifying only the
file types I wanted (all .aspx, .asmx, .asax, .xml, .dll, images, etc)

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software