URL.openStream in an applet causes NBNS name query

rayriots

Hi,

within an applet I do an url.openStream() and that works, i mean I get
the correct response. But immediately after calling the method a NBNS
name query is sent to the remote server. That seems to be a NetBIOS
request at post 137 (according to ethereal) , but I don't want to do
anything with netbios or something.

Because the remote port 137 is closed (and that is ok) the request is
refused (with port unreachable) after the timout and the client tries
it about 10 times. After that i get the response of my original
request.
Although my request with openStream() works it takes about 10 seconds
to get the response this way. But why does the applet tries to do that
query?

Does anybody know what is going on and how to fix it?

BTW I'm using Windows XP home with java version 1.5.0-b64
in java.policy i have:
permission java.net.SocketPermission "*:1-1023",
"connect,accept,resolve";

Ethereal says about the query:
Name query: NBNS: Name query NBSAT *<00><00><00>........<00>: type
NBSTAT, classIN
Response after timeout: ICMP: Destination unreachable (Port
unreachable)

Thank you
Ray

josh.s17

This sounds more like a result of the network settings in windows than
anything to do with your applet code.