User Control Output to a String

J. Shane Kunkle

Hello - Please help,

I am having trouble copying the output of a User Control into a string.

For example - assume I have defined the following user control:

<%@ Control %>

<script runat="server">

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

lblInput.Text = "The Page Load Event executed"

End Sub

</script>

<asp:label id="lblInput" runat="server" />

I have defined a generic function in another assembly that is called from a
button post back event. This function has to be able to instantiate any
user control whose URL is passed in and return it's rendered output in a
string. Note: the User Control specified by the input URL is not
necessarily loaded on the current page (which is the case in all the
examples I have seen).

Private Function AscxToString(ByVal url as string) as String

Dim objUserControl As New System.Web.UI.UserControl

Dim sw As StringWriter = New StringWriter

Dim hw As HtmlTextWriter = New HtmlTextWriter(sw)

'Create a new Page instance and a server-side form

Dim p As New Page

Dim hf As New HtmlForm

objUserControl = objUserControl.LoadControl(url)

'Build up the control hierarchy

p.Controls.Add(hf)

hf.Controls.Add(objUserControl)

'Call the page's RenderControl() method

p.DesignerInitialize()

objUserControl.RenderControl(hw)

p = Nothing

Return sw.ToString()

End Function

However whenever I execute the above code and pass in a URL to the ascx file
of the above user control - it returns the following html:

It's like the User Control/Page is not going thru the life-cycle properly
and the Page_Load event is not being raised. (the string "The Page Load
Event executed" is never output)

I have tried creating my own page class that inherits from Page so I can
explicitly call OnLoad (etc) and I have tried adding the user control to the
current page - but that hasn't worked. Is there an easy way to force a page
or control to traverse all the steps of the life cycle?

Or maybe I'm going about this all wrong? Does anyone have a better idea of
how to programmatically create and get the rendered output of a user
control? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

J. Shane Kunkle