uses for setup.cfg and extracting data from it

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Withers, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. Hi All,

    Do people generally source control their package's setup.cfg?

    http://docs.python.org/distutils/configfile.html sort of implies it
    should be editable by the person installing the package, but I've never
    personally used a package where that's the case...

    Assuming the distutils docs are out of date and this file is really
    "owned" by the package maintainer, how do I extract information from it
    in setup.py (and elsewhere for that matter!)

    I'm looking for somewhere consistent to store the following for all my
    packages:

    - mailing lists url

    - issue tracker url

    - change log url

    - documentation url

    ....such that I can generate a sensible long_description for use on PyPI
    but also such that I can include the information in the Sphinx docs...

    cheers,

    Chris

    Chris Withers, Sep 9, 2009