Uses of The 4th Dimension (New Discovery by The Human Race)

Sig Sauer

Please top post.

It allows readers to see the answer to the latest issue in the thread,
plus you don't have to scroll past all the text to get the gist of a thread.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP

MVP? Misguided Volatile Person? asp.net? Is that a network of poisonous
snakes? Yeah, like the one that Cleopatra used to kill herself. I ain't
going nowhere near any snake infested network! :p

sig

--

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect."

--- Linus Torvalds

Juan T. Llibre

Then, stay away, if it bothers you so much,
or, at least, don't respond to top-posted messages.

This is quite amusing.

I did say "please", yet you call me "volatile"
and say this is a "network of poisonous snakes" ?

<tee, hee...>

Wilson Heydt

re:

And it won't be.

Deleting from microsoft's news servers won't delete it from comcast's news servers
In all fairness, it should delete it.

That would require other organizations to trust MS...which past history indicates is a
rather poor idea.

Wilson Heydt

Please top post.

It allows readers to see the answer to the latest issue in the thread,
plus you don't have to scroll past all the text to get the gist of a thread.

A: It cause the answer to precede the question.

Q: Why shouldn't you top-post?

Rather more fundamentally, some newsgroups have a traditon of top posting, and some
don't. With such wide crossposting, either practice will be at odds with the traditions
of some groups no matter which way it's done.

ge0rge

Juan said:
Then, stay away, if it bothers you so much,
or, at least, don't respond to top-posted messages.

This is quite amusing.

Juan, you are missing the point. So I will point it out to you gently -
If you decide to go to an open meeting (which nobody can stop your entry since
it says open), that does not mean you need to shit at the doorstep... which is
exactly you are advocating. Get it? Now, if you stop and think for a moment,
you might find that your replies are not so amusing and even perhaps decide to
leave your infantile lapse behind.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
That would require other organizations to trust MS

What's there to trust ?

I distrust, far more, those who pirate content from these servers and then
want to set the rules for the type of content which should be published.

What a deal ! Replicators get free content to replicate, place the free content
on the web and add advertising...and they've got a revenue generator.

After that, you think you can criticize MS for trimming content on its servers
based on some sort of alleged moral superiority held by the replicators ?

Irony alert !

ge0rge

Juan said:
Then, stay away, if it bothers you so much,
or, at least, don't respond to top-posted messages.

This is quite amusing.

Juan, you are missing the point. So I will point it out to you gently -
If you decide to go to an open meeting (which nobody can stop your entry since
it says open), that does not mean you need to shit at the doorstep... which is
exactly you are advocating. Get it? Now, if you stop and think for a moment,
you might find that your replies are not so amusing and even perhaps decide to
leave your infantile lapse behind.

Kevin Spencer

It's a matter of personal preference, Joe. The fact that you don't think it
is says more about you than it does about the subject, which, by the way, is
irrelevant to this thread. You are a Lilliputian.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

Kevin Spencer

Fortunately I won't have to see anything by you hereafter.
*plonk*

come back when you can live by the rules

And who makes these rules, you?
Godwin is a net-nazi

And *who* is a "net-nazi?"

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

Kevin Spencer

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
MVP? Misguided Volatile Person? asp.net? Is that a network of poisonous
snakes? Yeah, like the one that Cleopatra used to kill herself. I ain't
going nowhere near any snake infested network! :p

People resort to name-calling when they run out of logic and ideas. It
demonstrates weakness. This is why it is considered "childish."

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

Kevin Spencer

No, it's simply the way Usenet servers *should* function.

I notice that you provide no argument as to *why* "it's simply the way
Usenet servers *should* function." Of course, there is no reason why; it is
an arbitrary decision. According to the W3C, it is not a requirement.
However, stating that something *should* be without any reason is a
demonstration of the lack of an ability to use logic.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

Marilee said:
What, and let MS have final word on which articles propogate?

No, it's simply the way Usenet servers *should* function. When someone
makes a post, and either they (or an administrator) deletes that post
(makes another post in the form of a deletion request), the deletion
request should be propagated to every Usenet server that replicates that
newsgroup.

A good Usenet server would then delete that post, even though it
originated elsewhere. Unfortunately, deletion requests are horrendously
easy to fake (even more so than e-mails!); and as such, many Usenet
server programs are defaulted to ignore deletion requests, or are unable
to even handle them in the first place.

BTW, many "modern" Usenet clients (such as the much-reviled Outlook
Express) are very badly designed in the first place, and are unable to
create proper deletion requests that conform to the standards (as well
as doing nasty things like automatic top-posting and HTML posts).

I hope this helps.
....Geshel
* My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use *
* it unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my *
* first name at my last name dot org. *
"Anyone who believes in Intelligent Design ("creationism") is just as
ignorant and ill-educated as someone who believes that the world is
flat, that the Sun circles the Earth or that there really is a tooth
fairy. Darwinism has an overwhelming foundation of evidence that can be
tested and reproduced. Intelligent Design, on the other hand, has no
evidence at all; not one single shred of testable proof. As such,
Intelligent Design is Religious Mythology, and has no right whatsoever
to be in our Science classrooms." - 99.99+% of Scientists
Mignon McLaughlin once said that "A nymphomaniac is a woman [who is] as
obsessed with sex as the average man." Unfortunately, since true
nymphomaniacs are so rare, this means that it takes an extraordinary
woman to keep up with an ordinary man.

Kevin Spencer

That would require other organizations to trust MS...which past history
indicates is a
rather poor idea.

Past history indicates that trusting any human being is a very poor idea.
Especially yourself.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
We got a sick zebra a hat,
you ultimate tuna.

Juan T. Llibre

Your use of an evasive reply in order to introduce a red herring is duly noted.

The issue is not whether Microsoft should be trusted,
as there is no reason to mistrust the managers of these news servers.

The *only* posts which are removed from Microsoft news servers are:

1. spam
2. posts which contain abusive language towards others
3. posts which contain gross language

In other words, posts which break the Microsoft Rules of Conduct for these newsgroups.

Rules of Conduct

Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to exchange technical information
and expertise about Microsoft products. Please avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity
in your interactions.

Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in newsgroups and chats are relevant
to the subject at hand. It is normal for some topics to drift from the stated subject. However,
to ensure maximum benefit for everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close to
the subject as possible.

Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum for providing peer-to-peer
assistance related to using Microsoft products and services. We ask that you refrain from posting
unsolicited advertisements that do not pertain directly to the intended use and purpose of the
newsgroup or chat.

Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public spaces, so don't post anything
that you don't want the world to see. Credit card numbers, product keys, and other confidential
information, including anything covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), should not be
posted to a newsgroup, chat, or other community.

See http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

Wilson Heydt

Your use of an evasive reply in order to introduce a red herring is duly noted.

The issue is not whether Microsoft should be trusted,
as there is no reason to mistrust the managers of these news servers.

The issue is unqualified. There is no reason to trust MS, becasue
MS has shown itself to be untrustworthy. Best recourse is not to
trust MS about *anything*.

Now if you want MS to regain trustworthiness, have the corporation
begin by owning up to it's illegal monopoly practices and cease
engaging in them.

In the mean time, you still don't seem very clear on the top/bottom
posting issue.

Here's the longer version of the explanation:

A: It runs contrary to the normal flow of conversation.
Q: Why not?
A: No.
Q: Is top-posting acceptable?
The *only* posts which are removed from Microsoft news servers are:

3. posts which contain gross language

By whose definiton?
In other words, posts which break the Microsoft Rules of Conduct for these newsgroups.

MS isn't the arbiter of netnews content, save on internal
newsgroups. I'm neither reading nor posting (directly) to an MS
internal newsgroup, so MS has no say whatsoever over the language I
use. MS will just have to get over it.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Now if you want MS to regain trustworthiness, have the corporation
begin by owning up to it's illegal monopoly practices and cease
engaging in them.

Non sequitur.
If you want to complain about that, start a different thread.

We are dealing with whether MSFT can delete posts which don't
deal with issues which relate to problems which users of its products have.

The *only* purpose for these newsgroups is so that
peer-to-peer exchanges about Microsoft product's usage can exist.

re:
MS isn't the arbiter of netnews content, save on internal newsgroups.

Like this one, you mean ?

MSFT doesn't want, or needs to, censor anything not on a MSFT news server.
OTOH, you seem to believe that you can dictate what MSFT hosts on its servers.

re:
I'm neither reading nor posting (directly) to an MS internal newsgroup

Yes, you are.
You are posting to a MSFT newsgroup.

re:
so MS has no say whatsoever over the language I use.

Wrong.
MSFT will delete from its servers whatever breaks the Code of Conduct.

re:
MS will just have to get over it.

It seems it's *you* who has to get over your MSFT allergy.

Marilee J. Layman

re:

When servers *replicate* another news server,
they should do exactly that : replicate.

When you attempt to determine whether a post is "PC'
or whether it isn't, you're not replicating; you're editorializing.

If you want to control posts...start your own news server.

What makes you think my newsserver replicates teh MS server?

Marilee J. Layman

No, it’s simply the way Usenet servers *should* function. When someone
makes a post, and either they (or an administrator) deletes that post
(makes another post in the form of a deletion request), the deletion
request should be propagated to every Usenet server that replicates that
newsgroup.

That hasn't worked in ages, since people started faking cancels.