Using a CMS for small site?

Gilles

Hello

Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
find short-time renters.

The site is just...
- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
displayed in a Flash slide show
- a calendar to show availability
- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
- (ASAP) online payment

Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
Django? Other?

Is a full-fledged CMS even needed for something like that?

Thank you.

Roy Smith

Gilles said:
Hello

Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
find short-time renters.

The site is just...
- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
displayed in a Flash slide show
- a calendar to show availability
- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
- (ASAP) online payment

Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
Django? Other?

You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.

But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
looking for.

Gilles

You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.

But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
looking for.

Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

Roy Smith

Gilles said:
Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
editor.

This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
better forums for these kinds of questions.

Gilles

This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
better forums for these kinds of questions.

Probably. I'll keep that in mind while checking Python web frameworks.
Thanks.

alex23

If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
editor.

This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group.  There are
better forums for these kinds of questions.

Not necessarily! There are several static site generators written in
Python :)

One that I see being updating a lot is Nikola: http://nikola.ralsina.com.ar/

Dieter Maurer

Gilles said:
The site is just...
- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
displayed in a Flash slide show
- a calendar to show availability
- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
- (ASAP) online payment

Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
Django? Other?

There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.

You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
and the onlie payment.

Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
quite some memory.

Alex Clark

There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.

You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
and the onlie payment.

Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
quite some memory.

Actually with Plone 4 (and 4.2 in particular) that is becoming less
true, I recently shrunk http://aclark.net to a 256MB vhost on rackspace
cloud.

Albert van der Horst

Hello

Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
find short-time renters.

The site is just...
- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
displayed in a Flash slide show
- a calendar to show availability
- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
- (ASAP) online payment

Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
Django? Other?

Is a full-fledged CMS even needed for something like that?

Good old rcs would be fine. It is oldfashioned, so you need only
4 commands, compared to a bewildering display of icons.

mkdir RCS
ci *
rcs -NSTABLE1: RCS/*

Backup by