using barcode scanner with ASP / ASP.NET

Chad

Hello,

I am working with a client who wants to integrate barcode scanning
technology into a website I'm building for him (ASP and ASP.NET site).
Specifically, he wants to use barcode scanning in his order
fulfillment process. He wants an employee to bring up an order, then
scan in the products being shipped with the order, then mark the order
as processed.

I've read posts that point to barcode scanners that will simulate
keystrokes and simply input the scanned information directly into a
web form. This sounds like the direction we need to head.

Does anyone recommend a particular company's scanner and / or
communication software between the scanners and the website? I've
heard about Symbol and L-Tron, any others? Can anyone give me any
pointers on how to establish communication between the scanners and
the website, as I'm still a little fuzzy on how to accomplish this?

Chad

dlbjr

Chad,

Most Barcode scanners are keyboard loops.
They plug-in with the keyboard.

Build a web page with the focus set to a text field in a form.
the page will place the barcode on the text field and submit.

I have worked with many wireless handheld device that have a built in
scanner and used a web site as the application.
Wal-Mart uses some nice small ones.

dlbjr

Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,
engender uncharted sagacity.