Using jython to call python procedures/methods

KB

Hi there,

I have an application that only publishes a Java API. I can use jython
to access java classes, but jython currently (to the best of my
knowledge) does not support numpy/scipy.

Ideally I would like to have jython call a "native" python routine
where I have the numpy/scipy procedures already written.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible?

I had toyed with the idea of having jython/java write the data to a
file/database and then manually kick off the python process, but
ideally I would like this as automated as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt Smith

Hi there,

I have an application that only publishes a Java API. I can use jython
to access java classes, but jython currently (to the best of my
knowledge) does not support numpy/scipy.

Ideally I would like to have jython call a "native" python routine
where I have the numpy/scipy procedures already written.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible?

I have no experience with these technologies, and others can point you
to more detailed info, but you could try using XML-RPC (see the docs
for the xmlrpclib module in the standard library) or SOAP (Google it).

These would be better than rolling your own.

Perhaps there's a more Pythonic solution though?

Kurt

bobicanprogram

Hi there,

I have an application that only publishes a Java API. I can use jython
to access java classes, but jython currently (to the best of my
knowledge) does not support numpy/scipy.

Ideally I would like to have jython call a "native" python routine
where I have the numpy/scipy procedures already written.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible?

I had toyed with the idea of having jython/java write the data to a
file/database and then manually kick off the python process, but
ideally I would like this as automated as possible.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to take a look at the SIMPL toolkit (http://
www.icanprogram.com/simpl). It sports both JAVA and Python hooks so
you should be able to pump the data from your JAVA module to a Python/
numpy/scipy module.

bob