using SSL with ASP.net 2.0

c_shah

I have an asp.net website (IIS 6 on windows Server 2003, .NET
Framework 2.0)

On one of my page I am making a call to a ASP.net web service (to
obtain some data), I DO NOT want to make any secure calls to the web
service. Does SSL have any issue with consuming a web service inside
your
asp.net web page?

Is that true that session variables will be lost when url changes from
HTTPS to HTTP? I only want to secure few (only four) pages on the
website.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello c_shah,

Don't quite understand your issue.
Where is SSL? Your ASp.net site, or remote web service is SSLed?

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

c> I have an asp.net website (IIS 6 on windows Server 2003, .NET
c> Framework 2.0)
c>
c> On one of my page I am making a call to a ASP.net web service (to
c> obtain some data), I DO NOT want to make any secure calls to the web
c> service. Does SSL have any issue with consuming a web service inside
c> your
c> asp.net web page?
c> Is that true that session variables will be lost when url changes
c> from HTTPS to HTTP? I only want to secure few (only four) pages on
c> the website.
c>

c_shah

my question

are session variable will be lost (asp.net website) between https and
http?

Michael Nemtsev

Hello c_shah,

AFAIK there is no limitation for the session variables (because they are
serialized) and only for cookies.

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

c> my question
c>
c> are session variable will be lost (asp.net website) between https and
c> http?
c>

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Michael ,

I mean there is no problem if u use database to maintain state

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

MN> Hello c_shah,
MN>
MN> AFAIK there is no limitation for the session variables (because they
MN> are serialized) and only for cookies.
MN>
MN> ---
MN> WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
MN> My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
MN> Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/
MN> "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
MN> and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
MN> Michelangelo

c>> my question
c>>
c>> are session variable will be lost (asp.net website) between https
c>> and http?
c>>

c_shah

Michael, I am sorry

Do you meant to say session variable will be lost between HTTPS and
HTTP unless you use database to store session?

Michael Nemtsev

Hello c_shah,

Seems so, I've never tried it, but see the number of other posts about this,
that u need to store in in DB

I recommend to google and examine this

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

c> Michael, I am sorry
c>
c> Do you meant to say session variable will be lost between HTTPS and
c> HTTP unless you use database to store session?
c>