using System.Data.OracleClient with asp.net

Andy Fish

Hi,

I have an asp.net/ado.net application that I have just ported to work with
Oracle, using microsoft's own System.Data.OracleClient. I am having great
difficulty working out what configuration of oracle client is required to
make it work properly with asp.net.

I tried to use the oracle "instant client" but that seems to be just a bunch
of DLLs with no installation or configuration instructions. I have tried
putting them in the bin directory of my application but to no avail.

I then tried installing the full oracle client. This did allow a windows
forms application to run, but would not work with the asp.net application
(due to restricted privileges of the asp.net worker process account). The
only way I could get it working in the development environment was to allow
full control to all users over the entire oracle home directory, but this is
not satisfactory for a deployed application.

I'm guessing I'm not the first person ever to deploy an asp.net application
using Oracle. Can anyone point me at any notes or instructions?

TIA

Andy