Using /usr/sbin/sendmail in Ruby Script

Dan Sinclair

Hi Guys,

I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!

I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail). The script I have so far
is this:

###################################

when "email"
begin
job_media = ENV['job_media']
job_reason = ENV['JOB_REASON']
e_address = get_node_value('post-action-e-address')
eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)
end

###################################

def eeemail(job_media, job_reason, e_address)

RECIPIENT = (e-mail address removed)
MEDIA = blah
REASON = job_reason
SUBJECT = "Engine Admin - Job #{REASON}"

exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
From: "Episode Engine" <[email protected]>
Subject: "#{SUBJECT}"

"Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
EOF")

end

###################################

This script will run when a piece of software my company sell, finishes
a task. The main thing I'm not getting to work is the:

exec("/usr/sbin/./sendmail #{RECIPIENT} << EOF
From: "Episode Engine" <[email protected]>

"Job #{MEDIA} has #{REASON}"
EOF")

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

Aldric Giacomoni

Dan said:
Hi Guys,

I'm very new to Ruby, so please bare with me!

I'm trying to make a ruby script that runs a command/executable. The
command/executable is native to Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6. It's the
sendmail command (found in /usr/sbin/sendmail).

Why not let Ruby do it all?
http://gemcutter.org/gems/mail

Dan Sinclair

Aldric said:

...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
Mac OS X...

Regards,

Dan

Dan Sinclair

Dan said:
...because not all of my customers will have this installed, and as i
recall from looking at that before, you need to have an SMTP server set
up too...whereas if i use the sendmail command, it's already to go with
Mac OS X...

Regards,

Dan

sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
to install something else.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Sinclair

Dan said:
sorry...my bad...looks like i ddin't read up on that specific ruby mail
add on...it would still be easier however for my customers to not need
to install something else.

Regards,

Dan

...no no my bad on my bad....lol. It DOES need an SMTP server
configured.

Regards,

Dan

Aldric Giacomoni