Using VS.NEt 2005 to create web page

md

I know this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure out what to google
to get an answer, so my apologies in advance.

I used vs.net 2003 to create a web site for my employer, and recently I
moved to vs2005, and I can't figure out how the web page designer works. In
the old version, I simply clicked on a control in the toolbox and dragged
the mouse on the form to create it at the appropriate size and location. No
problem.

However, in 2005 it seems like I have to double click or drag and drop a
control from the toolbox, and it always sticks it in the upper left hand
corner. Then I have to drag it where I want it and resize it.

Also, if I try to select several controls on the page by dragging the mouse
around them it doesn't work. It's like the page is a big text editor. I hate
it. VS2003 was really easy, but so far 2005 isn't very impressive IMHO.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

If you have any tutorials or other links you'd like to share I'd be happy to
take a look at them!

Matt

Scott M.

My understanding is that VS.NET 2005 web pages are designed in "Flow Layout"
mode by default. VS.NET 2003 web pages were designed in "Grid Layout" mode.
Grid Layout allows you to drag a control and drop it wherever you want by
using the CSS Level 2.0 Absolute Positioning standard. Flow layout mode
postitions controls inline (such as a word processor).

I don't know if there is a Grid Layout mode in 2005, but I can tell you
that, although you may find it eaiser to visually create the form this way,
it is not a great way to build the UI of a web page (for consistency
reasons) and that's why MS changed the default.

md

Thanks. Using Grid Layout I was able to find others asking the same question
as me. I'm used to doing Windows Forms apps, and using this new "feature" of
VS2005 really messes me up and seems so primitive. But that's just my
opinion. So then I gather you can't use the mouse to select multiple
controls on the page without using Ctrl or Shift and clicking on each one.
This seems like a real step backwards, but again, my opinion.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Matt

Scott M.

It's not a new feature, it's just one of the 2 modes that you've had since
the beginning of .NET. The only thing that is new, is that MS changed which
mode is used by default. It was changed because, although creating the page
is easier in Grid Layout, the actual resulting page is more consistently
rendered using Flow Layout. Yes, you need CTRL to select multiple controls.

I belive you can still switch back into Grid Layout if you desire.

darrel

I'm used to doing Windows Forms apps, and using this new "feature" of
VS2005 really messes me up and seems so primitive. But that's just my
opinion.

Well, the main difference is that the web isn't a fixed canvas. You don't
have full control over it. People can change their browser viewport size.
Their font sizes. Their fonts. Etc.

So, fixed layouts can break pretty quickly once you realize people may have
different preferences.

We just purchased Magic Help Desk last year. A huge, crappy help desk system
that I'm sure we paid way too much for.

The entire interface was designed using absolutely positioned elements and
fixed-sized fonts. It worked fine until it was discovered that one of our
offices set all their windows machines to use LARGE fonts. This broke the
UI. I got to spend a week digging through the ASP pages trying to change
everything. Ugh.

So, anyways, get used to using Flow layout. It'll take some getting-used to
but it will be worth it for your end-users in the long run.

-Darrel

jraja

click desire control you like to position then go to layout > Position > Absolute
now you can drag control any where you like

Huhhh

jraja

click desire control you like to position then go to layout > Position > Absolute
now you can drag control any where you like

Huhhh

Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Tarun Chugh

click desire control you like to position then go to layout > Position > Absolute
now you can drag control any where you like

Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Taurn Chugh

To change your layout default is Flow and their is no such grid in the 2005

so you can do either select control to then right click go to style the position in position set absolute or for full page grid section

go to layout menu then position then auto-position option then in CSS position check absolutely positioned

enjoy now your page in grid layout

Taurn Chugh
(e-mail address removed)

Tarun Chugh