Using VS2005 over a server share

Guest

Hi.

I am using vs2005 professional and have just built a website on my local
machine.

I have just copied it to another computer on the network where I store all
my projects but now I can't open it. When I do, I get the following
error/warning in VS2005 and I can't compile it:

Error 1 Failed to start monitoring changes to 'Z:\html\Client Web
Sites\MantisShop_Template\App_WebReferences' because the network BIOS command
limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to
Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not
supported for the Windows XP Platform. /

What would be causing this?

Erik Funkenbusch

Hi.

I am using vs2005 professional and have just built a website on my local
machine.

I have just copied it to another computer on the network where I store all
my projects but now I can't open it. When I do, I get the following
error/warning in VS2005 and I can't compile it:

Error 1 Failed to start monitoring changes to 'Z:\html\Client Web
Sites\MantisShop_Template\App_WebReferences' because the network BIOS command
limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to
Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not
supported for the Windows XP Platform. /

What would be causing this?

If I had to hazzard a guess, i'd say it's because "Hosting on a UNC share
is not supported for the Windows XP Platform."

Guest

Thanks Erik.

What I would like to know is how I can access my VS 2005 project over the
network. I was able to do this just fine with VS 2002 and VS 2003 so I don't
understand why it will not work with VS 2005

Erik Funkenbusch

Thanks Erik.

What I would like to know is how I can access my VS 2005 project over the
network. I was able to do this just fine with VS 2002 and VS 2003 so I don't
understand why it will not work with VS 2005

Visual Studio 2005 works differently than 2002 and 2003 did. Obviously the
new implementation won't work over a UNC Share anymore, as the error
message tells you.

The reason is that the Visual Studio Developer Web Server can't reliably
monitor changes tofiles over a UNC path on XP, so it can't tell when to
reload the app domain when files like web.config (or, as in your case Web
References) change.

It's a bummer for sure, but being confused about why it won't work won't
magically make it work.

Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hosting on a UNC share is not supported

I am getting the same error on some code I am trying to compile.

I'd appreciate more information on the issue if you find out what the problem is and how you fixed it or worked artound it.

My email is (e-mail address removed), you are welcoem to email me anytime with more information.

Rich -