Control to a UNC share for the Network Service account

Oriane

Hi,

My Asp.Net web service launches a COM component under the Network Service
account. This COM process reads a file via a UNC share on a XP computer on
the network (something like \\host\shareFolder), not necessarily in the same
domain.

I suppose that the access is denied, since I get a strange warning from my
(more or less homemade) COM component and also since, when I launch the same
COM component with a different account, there is no issue.

On the XP side, the access to the shared folder is given to "EveryOne". So I
don't know how to fix it.

Best regards

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Oriane,

Quote from Oriane==================================================
My Asp.Net web service launches a COM component under the Network Service
account.
when I launch the same
COM component with a different account, there is no issue.

Could you clarify how you use the above two accounts? Could you provide
some code?

Quote from Oriane ==================================================
I get a strange warning from my (more or less homemade)

Could you tell me what the warning is?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Oriane

Hi Allen,

I think I should better post in some interoperability NG.
Allen Chen said:
Hi Oriane,

Quote from Oriane==================================================
My Asp.Net web service launches a COM component under the Network Service
account.
when I launch the same
COM component with a different account, there is no issue.

Could you clarify how you use the above two accounts? Could you provide
some code?
Yes and no.

If I impersonate my web service with a administrator account

<identity impersonate="true" userName="admin" password="admin" />

the COM component can perform its operation, that is to say access the UNC
share.

If I don't have impersonate, it fails. The error message is not meaningful.
Quote from Oriane ==================================================
I get a strange warning from my (more or less homemade)

Could you tell me what the warning is?
The error message, which comes from the COM component, is not meaningful.

I will post on the dotnet.framework.interop NG.

Thanks a lot

Oriane

Oriane

Allen,,

I think the best way to solve this pb is to impersonate the web service.
This is what I will do.

Best regards