Using WCF Services from 2.0 programs

GaryDean

Exercises in the WCF book I'm going through (Essential WCF) 1st has you
create a WCF Service
(pasted first below) then a WCF client (pasted second below). These both
work fine with no
surprises.

As you can see, the signature of the method is : public double
GetPrice(string ticker)

Outside the exercises in the book I wanted to see how .net 2.0 clients would
work
with the WCF service so I created a windows forms program (pasted third
below) in VS2005
and added a "web reference" to the WCF Service. However, in that wsdl the
signature of
the method was :
public void GetPrice(string ticker, out double GetPriceResult, out bool
GetResultPriceSpecified)

My question is : Why is the signature changed when the web reference is
added by a 2.0 program?
Thanks,
Gary

WCF
SERVICE ------------------------------------------------------------------------

using System;
using System.ServiceModel;

namespace EssentialWCF
{

[ServiceContract]
public interface IStockService
{
[OperationContract]
double GetPrice(string ticker); // C, the contract
}
public class StockService : IStockService
{
public double GetPrice(string ticker)
{
return 94.85;

public class service
{
public static void Main()
{
ServiceHost serviceHost = new ServiceHost(typeof(StockService));
serviceHost.Open();
Console.WriteLine("Press <ENTER> to terminate.\n\n");
Console.ReadLine();
serviceHost.Close();

END WCF
SERVICE---------------------------------------------------------------------

WCF
CLIENT--------------------------------------------------------------------------
using System;
using System.ServiceModel;

namespace EssentialWCF
{
class Client
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{

wcf07client.ServiceReference.StockServiceClient proxy = new
wcf07client.ServiceReference.StockServiceClient();
double p = proxy.GetPrice("msft");
Console.WriteLine("Price:{0}", p);
proxy.Close();
Console.ReadLine();
END WCF
CLIENT----------------------------------------------------------------------

2.0 Web Service
Client--------------------------------------------------------------
using System;
using System.Windows.Forms;
namespace client2005
{
public partial class Form1 : Form
{
public Form1()
{
InitializeComponent();

}

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
localhost.StockService myStockService = new
client2005.localhost.StockService();
bool mybool = false;
double p = 0;
myStockService.GetPrice("msft", out p, out mybool);
<-------------- 3 Args!!
lblPrice.Text = p.ToString("c");

Steven Cheng

Hi Gary,

As for the signature of the auto-generated webservice proxy, I've also ever
noticed such behavior as you mentioned. It seems due to some internal
implemetation of the service proxy generator. It will prefer using an
output parameter instead of return value when the service method return a
simple primitive type object. If you return a complex class object(such as
your custom class), it will define it as return value by default. Anyway,
both signature is the same, there is no particular difference. Just like,
if you add reference in other platform/language(such as java or c++), the
behavior might also differ from the .NET client one.

BTW, since .NET 2.0 client proxy is webservice client proxy, you need to
make sure the server-side WCF service use a webservice compatible
binding(with Text encoding message format). Many high performance binding
in WCF use binary format by default(such as NetTcpBinding ...).

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
--------------------
From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
Subject: Using WCF Services from 2.0 programs
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:51:39 -0700
[...]

-----
using System;
using System.ServiceModel;

namespace EssentialWCF
{
class Client
{

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

GaryDean

Steven:
I'm using basicHttpBinding. But the signature is not at all the same.
There is another argument added : out boolso I have to understand what is going on here at some point.

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
"Steven Cheng" said:
[...]

rights.
--------------------
From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:51:39 -0700
[...]

Thanks for your reply Gary,

As for the additional parameter, it is also a particular implementation of
the .NET webservice client proxy. As I've mentioned in previous reply, the
case is that the return object in your webmethod (wcf method) is of
primitive type(a value type instead of a reference type). Thus, the client
cannot determine whether the server-side has set an intial value or not(via
using if(obj == Null)). Therefore, it add an additional parameter like
"xxxSpecified" to indicate this.

From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>

GaryDean

ok, that makes perfect sense that the bool is needed to tell if the return
is null. Then why isn't this also necessary for the WCF client?
Gary

Steven Cheng

WCF make such control(over the generating of client proxy's serializatino
class) up to you. So it will not automatically generate such properties, if
you want to use the same approach, you can manually add such
properties/fields. Anyway, it depends on different developers's
preference, sometimes such automatic field generation is prefered by some
ones while someone elses may not quite like it.