version of java run time environment on a client

how can i tell?
Is it just the latest version shown in HKLM|Software|Javasoft|Java run
time environment?
Thanks!

Andrew Thompson

how can i tell?

Why do you think you need to?
Is it just the latest version shown in HKLM|Software|Javasoft|Java run
time environment?

No. I can be running any of a variety of
JRE's on my system, depending on the options
selected in browsers that happen to be showing
web pages with applets, apps. running under the
'default' JRE*, or apps. launched using web
start (which can also request both a minimum
version, or a specific version).

* Which I believe is what you might
be thinking, in asking that question.

The code ..

System.getProperty("java.version");

...will return a String that represents the
Java version that the particular application
(or applet) is running in.

Here is a little app., that reports that
(and some other system properties).
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

HTH

Andrew T.

Why do you think you need to?

No. I can be running any of a variety of
JRE's on my system, depending on the options
selected in browsers that happen to be showing
web pages with applets, apps. running under the
'default' JRE*, or apps. launched using web
start (which can also request both a minimum
version, or a specific version).

* Which I believe is what you might
be thinking, in asking that question.

The code ..

System.getProperty("java.version");

..will return a String that represents the
Java version that the particular application
(or applet) is running in.

Here is a little app., that reports that
(and some other system properties).
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

HTH

Andrew T.

Thanks for the detailed response Andrew.
To answer your quesion, I need to know what
version as I have some Citrix clients that are
showing incorrect times (even though the client
and server are patched with MS Windows DST patchs).
I read that Citrix clients may need a specific version of
Java RTE to function property with regards to new DST rules.
Thanks again.