Version of JDK to develope the Applet VS version of JRE on client'sbrowser

Krist

Hi gurus,

If I develope and compile an Applet using JDK jdk 1.5.0_xx.

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Newer than
1.5.0_xx ?

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Older than
1.5.0_xx ?

Thank you for your help,
xtanto

Java coder

Krist a écrit :
If I develope and compile an Applet using JDK jdk 1.5.0_xx.

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Newer than
1.5.0_xx ?
It's supposed to work.
What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Older than
1.5.0_xx ?

It won't work (older like 1.4, etc)

markspace

Krist said:
What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Older than
1.5.0_xx ?

What "java coder" said. However, if you use JDK 1.5, and add a -target
flag to your compiler, then you can specify that the Applet *will* run
on older JRE versions, like 1.4 and 1.3. Note there may be source
incompatibilities that you will have to adapt to (like classes that were
introduced in 1.5 and aren't present in earlier versions).

Check out the -target flag on the javac command line docs.

Roedy Green

If I develope and compile an Applet using JDK jdk 1.5.0_xx.

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Newer than
1.5.0_xx ?

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Older than
1.5.0_xx ?

"I'm doubtful about the temper of your flamingo. Shall I try the
experiment?"
- The Duchess, The Mock Turtle's Story, Alice in Wonderland.

It will work fine on 1.6
It will fail on 1.4

Arne Vajhøj

If I develope and compile an Applet using JDK jdk 1.5.0_xx.

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Newer than
1.5.0_xx ?

What happen if it is run by client using Browser with JRE Older than
1.5.0_xx ?

Java is like most other development.

If developed at version X then it will run on versions >= X but
not on version < X.

Java is slightly better than most other development tools
because it has -source and -target where you can use a newer
Java version to develop for older Java versions.

According to the statistics at:
http://www.statowl.com/java.php
you should cover most with 1.5 + 1.6 support.

Arne