[Very OT] Australia or Canada, which one is the best country for a geek?!?

EricF

Mark,

Thanks, but I meant what if I were to move there? I'm American. In the US, you
need a visa to work legally if not a citizen.

Mentioned the subject to my wife this morning. She wasn't interested in moving
to NZ. :-(

Eric

Roy Britten

How would someone be authorized to work in NZ if not a citizen?

A work permit is easily obtained if you work in IT and have a job
offer from an NZ company.

Official government information at
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
"In this section you will find everything you need to apply for a visa
and permit to work, temporarily or permanently, in New Zealand."

As a general rule, people move here for the lifestyle, not for the income.

Phlip

Roy said:
A work permit is easily obtained if you work in IT and have a job
offer from an NZ company.

Official government information at
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
"In this section you will find everything you need to apply for a visa
and permit to work, temporarily or permanently, in New Zealand."

As a general rule, people move here for the lifestyle, not for the income.

May I ask why my former colleague who moved to Australia blew me off when I
suggested he get me onto his next project? Was he just being polite when he
claimed Oz has strict immigration policies, or is Oz that different from NZ?

EricF

A work permit is easily obtained if you work in IT and have a job
offer from an NZ company.

Official government information at
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/
"In this section you will find everything you need to apply for a visa
and permit to work, temporarily or permanently, in New Zealand."

As a general rule, people move here for the lifestyle, not for the income.
Thanks!

Now back to Ruby. ;-)

Eric

Tim Bray

I'm planing to immigrate to Australia or Canada, but am not sure wh= ich
one is a better place for a hacker (As Paul Graham calls us).

What I'd like to know is, which country can help me to be a better
programmer? user groups, seminars, availability of resources and
things like these...

I'm Canadian, lived in several places there, have friends & relatives=
=20
in Oz, spent lots of time there. Currently I live in Vancouver but =
=20
have been considering relocating to Melbourne for quite a while now. =
=20
Vancouver & Melbourne regularly both place in top-5 best places to =
=20
live in the world lists, so it's not a slam dunk. As regards Canada,=
=20
it depends what kind of high-tech. If it's telecom, Ottawa. If it's=
=20
finance, Toronto. If it's Web2.0 stuff, Vancouver. If being in =
=20
California's timezone is important, Vancouver. If it's fun & good =
=20
food you're after, Montreal or Vancouver. I wish Vancouver had more =
=20
winter sun but I just can't take 5 months of snow on the ground, so I=
=20
don't really have a choice. These days, get a high-tech job offer =
=20
and you can get into the country, no prob.

Any big Australian city is going to be a lot warmer, but then there =
=20
are the spikes to 40=BAC and the high winds and the awful, horrible, =
=20
bugs. On the other hand, the people are awfully nice and the wine is=
=20
better. My impression is that the Aussie IT scene really does suffer=
=20
=66rom being an 8+-hour flight to anywhere, and a 15+-hour flight to =
=20
any other tech center. But these days, you can find a Ruby tribe =
=20
wherever you are.

-T

Max Muermann

But these days, you can find a Ruby tribe
wherever you are.

Australia has a great community. True, things tend to be mostly driven
by Rails - but there's plenty of Ruby mixed in.

We recently ran RailsCamp07 in the bush north of Sydney, which was
hands down the best geek experience I've had.

http://toolmantim.com/article/2007/7/17/rails_camp_07_rundown
http://www.flickr.com/groups/rails-camp/pool/

The community is truly outstanding.

Now for the hair in the soup...

The IT industry in Australia is much, much smaller than most other
countries (Australia has a little over 20 million people). It also
seems that Australian companies have over the last few years developed
a regrettable aversion to any sort of risk, which now translates into
a reluctance in businesses to evaluate Ruby and Rails for their
projects.

There is quite a bit of work around for Rails developers, but
Australian rates seem low compared to pretty much anywhere else.

I've been living in Australia for almost eight years now and it is an
amazing country, lots of very friendly people and beautiful landscapes
and beaches.

--max
http://synaphy.com/blog
http://whatsnextapp.com

Sharon Phillips

Any big Australian city is going to be a lot warmer, but then there =20=
are the spikes to 40=BAC and the high winds and the awful, horrible, =20=

Awful horrible bugs?
Not sure about that, but we do have lots of imaginative ways to get =20
killed. No bears to eat you here (Like Canada?), but here's my very =20
quick non-researched list of ways you (as a tourist) are likely to =20
die in Australia.
Drowning at Bondi et al. There's some staggering number of people =20
drown each year on Australian beaches. Most of them tourists.
Eaten by a croc. In the north, when they say don't enter the water, =20
they mean it.
Eaten by a Shark. Not too common actually.
Stung by a jellyfish. We have ones that'll kill you in minutes.
You stood on a stone fish. These lie in the sand in the shallows and =20
have a deadly spike in their head.
Bitten by a snake. Of the ten most deadly snakes in the world, most =20
live in Australia.
Bitten by a spider. You're less likely to die, but more likely to get =20=

bitten. Quite common (relative to other means in this list) in metro =20
areas.
Stung by an octopus. We have a cute little one with glowing blue =20
rings. Deadly.
Stranded in the desert. People don't seem to appreciate the size of =20
the country (but those from the US probably do. We're a lot smaller =20
than you) and it's surprising the number of people who hire a 4WD and =20=

try to cross one of our deserts.
Lost in the Blue Mountains. Beautiful, but take care.
Falling asleep whilst driving. Surprisingly, this is a big killer.

Ways you're not likely to die:
In a terrorist attack. Look out bad guys, We have the magnets and =20
we're alert, but not alarmed.
(Our Gov't too has been spinning the terror thing for all it's worth. =20=

You (in the US) got your constitution neutered. We got fridge magnets.)

Cheers,
Dave

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sharon said:
Ways you're not likely to die:
In a terrorist attack. Look out bad guys, We have the magnets and we're
alert, but not alarmed.
(Our Gov't too has been spinning the terror thing for all it's worth.
You (in the US) got your constitution neutered. We got fridge magnets.)

Is there a link to the fridge magnets somewhere? :)

Wait a minute!! What about the drop bears??

Giles Bowkett

For what it's worth, there's a company which was organizing, a little
while back, a sort of Rails programmers' world tour work group. The
idea was, they'd get together a group of good RoR hackers, get them
oriented in the company, gelling as a team, etc., and then put them on
a plane for Thailand, after which they'd kind of hop around the
Pacific for a while, maybe the Caribbean as well, working out of cheap
but peaceful backpacker tourist spots for about a year.

Kind of a tangent, but relevant to the general question of working
with Ruby worldwide. I don't know if they ever actually got it off the
ground.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Giles said:
For what it's worth, there's a company which was organizing, a little
while back, a sort of Rails programmers' world tour work group. The
idea was, they'd get together a group of good RoR hackers, get them
oriented in the company, gelling as a team, etc., and then put them on
a plane for Thailand, after which they'd kind of hop around the
Pacific for a while, maybe the Caribbean as well, working out of cheap
but peaceful backpacker tourist spots for about a year.

Kind of a tangent, but relevant to the general question of working
with Ruby worldwide. I don't know if they ever actually got it off the
ground.
Hmmm ... how about a small group of RoR hackers that just works out of a
well-equipped airliner and lands only to refuel and goof off? :)

Daniel Berger

For what it's worth, there's a company which was organizing, a little
while back, a sort of Rails programmers' world tour work group. The
idea was, they'd get together a group of good RoR hackers, get them
oriented in the company, gelling as a team, etc., and then put them on
a plane for Thailand, after which they'd kind of hop around the
Pacific for a while, maybe the Caribbean as well, working out of cheap
but peaceful backpacker tourist spots for about a year.

Kind of a tangent, but relevant to the general question of working
with Ruby worldwide. I don't know if they ever actually got it off the
ground.

They landed in Thailand, discovered Soy Cowboy, and were never heard
from again....

Dan

Sharon Phillips

Ways you're not likely to die:
Is there a link to the fridge magnets somewhere? :)
You asked for it:
Anti-terrorism package to arrive in post this week http://
www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s775526.htm
PM: Anti-terror fridge magnets justified http://www.news.com.au/story/
0,23599,22001802-29277,00.html
Wait a minute!! What about the drop bears??
Ahh... the drop bears. Like I mentioned somewhere previously, the
work I do is classified and so I'm unable to reveal any further
information.
You may, however, find a reference in an add for Bunduberg Rum.

Cheers,
Dave

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Sharon said:
You asked for it:
Anti-terrorism package to arrive in post this week
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s775526.htm
PM: Anti-terror fridge magnets justified
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22001802-29277,00.html

Ahh... the drop bears. Like I mentioned somewhere previously, the work I
do is classified and so I'm unable to reveal any further information.
You may, however, find a reference in an add for Bunduberg Rum.

Cheers,
Dave
Ah ... OK ... I was hoping for pictures of the fridge magnets. I don't
suppose they have drop bears on them. :)

Joel VanderWerf

Mark said:
"The refrigerators of Australia are on the front line against extremists.."

After reading these links, I think it's a very good idea to "look out
for Australia".

But seriously. We Americans should not laugh. Our poor troops over in
Iraq are so ill-equipped they have to use post-it notes to protect their
refrigerators. Thankyew, yew been great...