very strange problem with connection

Trapulo

I've two copy af the same asp.net application. The application enter on sql
server, working with two separate databases (on the same sql server
instance, of course). The connection is made with integrated security, and
the server is a domain controller.

If I start only the first application (call the web site), all right.
If I start only the second application, all right.

If I start an application, and then call a page from the second, my second
application cannot enter the database. If I kill aspnet process, the recall
the same page, this second application works fine, but I have the previuos
error if now I try to enter the first application!

This is a very strange problem!

What can I do?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Try without integrated security and see if it still messes up. If so, it is
likely to be a security issue. The best method to go from there is to do two
things.

1. On SQL Server, turn on profiler and see the user that is hitting the
database when it fails.
2. In ASP.NET trace out (or write out if you do not use trace) the user it
thinks it is running under

If you find that the user is IUSR, you have your problem child identified.
Once you figure this out, you have a better means to determine where to go
next.

With apps that use forms auth, you can set the cookie name and allow users
hitting the same server (same domain?) to log in once and hit all apps. This
is more FYI, as it will not solve your problem directly.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Trapulo

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
Try without integrated security and see if it still messes up. If so, it is
likely to be a security issue.

Yes, is the same

The best method to go from there is to do two
things.

1. On SQL Server, turn on profiler and see the user that is hitting the
database when it fails.

When it fails, I get a "login" and a "logout". No other operation.
2. In ASP.NET trace out (or write out if you do not use trace) the user it
thinks it is running under

If you find that the user is IUSR, you have your problem child identified.
Once you figure this out, you have a better means to determine where to go
next.

With apps that use forms auth, you can set the cookie name and allow users
hitting the same server (same domain?) to log in once and hit all apps. This
is more FYI, as it will not solve your problem directly.

I don't understand your note very well. My application uses form auth, and
the application run as IWAM (it is on a domain controller, so aspnet 1.1
runs as IWAM). The IWAM user has right permission on sql server (so SSPI can
work).
The two applications have different cookie name for forms auth (but I think
this isn't a problem anywhere... my app doesnt' enter in sql as IWAM when
try to autenticate the user).

thanks

Trapulo

Jacob Yang said:
Hi Trapulo,

Thank you for using Microsoft MSDN managed newsgroup.

I noticed that you post the same question in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet group. Please check that thread
for this issue.

Ok, but we are not going ahead on that ng..

Regards