vhdl 101

martstev

I am fairly new at VHDL...have two questions:

1) any recommended books with loads of exampls - VHDL and digital
logic.(I know there is so much FREE on the web, but I want to start
with fundamentals)

2) any suggestion about how can i code following timing signals in VHDL

thanks in adavance

this is what want to do...
based on my inputs, I want to generate some timing signals..
for examples: if my input (4bit wide) is "0001", I need to create a
10uS pulse (T1) avery 1ms and want to created another pulse (18us wide)
2uS after the leading edge of T1

_______ _______
| | | |
| 10us | | 10us |
T1 | | | |
________________| |________________________| |_________________
|<-------------- 1ms -------------->

__________ __________
2us---->| |<---- | | |
| | | |
T2 | 18us | | 18us |
__________________| |________________________| |_______

thx,
MARTIN

Andrew FPGA

Do you want to generate T1/T2 in a simulator or in real FPGA hardware?
If simulation you can do things like "wait for 10 us;". If the target
is FPGA hardware then you must use vhdl constructs that are
synthesizable ( wait for xx us is not). The FPGA hardware should have a
clock signal. Use counters that count clock ticks to generate whatever
delays you would like.

E.g. say you have a 10MHz clock source. To generate a pulse 1 us long
you need to count for 10 clock cycles.

martstev

Thank you Andrew for your reply!
Yeah..I need this for the FPGA hardware. So I suppose I have to
implement counters to generate T1 and T2. is that a true statement??

Martin

Colin Paul Gloster

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 (e-mail address removed) wrote:

"[..]
this is what want to do...
based on my inputs, I want to generate some timing signals..
for examples: if my input (4bit wide) is "0001", I need to create a
10uS pulse (T1) avery 1ms [..]

_______ _______
| | | |
| 10us | | 10us |
T1 | | | |
________________| |________________________| |_________________
|<-------------- 1ms -------------->

[..]"

The quoted text and the diagram do not correspond to each other: if
something happens every 1ms then the period of 1ms should not be measured
from the rising edge of one pulse to the falling edge of another pulse.

Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
A good book on VHDL and Verilog, it covers both, is
HDL Programming Fundamentals VHDL and Verilog
by Nazieh M. Botros
ISBN 1-58450-855-8