Vista Home and Web Server

Guest

I wanted to know if Windows Vista Home Premium edition comes with some sort
of web server, so I can continue to do web development using Visual Studio
2005.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Yes, Vista Home Premium includes an implementation of IIS 7. You will also
find it in Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, and Vista Ultimate.

If you are using Home Basic, you can upgrade, but I think it is only to
Vista Ultimate. You do not have to "install" Ultimate, per se. You simply
input the key while you are connected to the Internet and it downloads the
bits necessary. You can do the same on Home Premium, but you do not have to
if IIS 7 is your goal.

NOTE: You have to install the IIS 6 bits and install both the SP and the
Vista patch. Overall, from my experience, Vista development is a pain in the
butt and I am going to wait until Orcas to go back.

Mark Rae

Yes, Vista Home Premium includes an implementation of IIS 7.

From which SMTP has been removed!

Sometimes Microsoft just baffle me...
Overall, from my experience, Vista development is a pain in the butt

In what way(s)...?

I haven't had any problems at all...

JJ

no smtp server? Thats going to be a pain for development work.
Are all the versions without smtp?
Is it only the server versions that have an smtp option now?

Thanks,
JJ

Mark Rae

no smtp server?

'Fraid so...
Thats going to be a pain for development work.

It certainly is!
Are all the versions without smtp?
Yes.

Is it only the server versions that have an smtp option now?

Yes. As I understand it, this is due to some sort of "internal wrangling"
within Microsoft whereby the "OS guys" have fallen out with the "IIS guys",
with the result that SMTP has been deliberately removed from IIS7 on Vista
in some childish act of "My Dad's bigger than your Dad" sort of game...

Certainly something fairly major happened, as the MVPs in the Vista and IIS
groups don't want to go anywhere near this...

Maybe if the development community can rally together (like it did when
ASP.NET 2 was first released without the WAP model) we can get them to
reinstate SMTP in SP1...

JJ

Hmmm not good to make the customer suffer because of some internal problems.

Thank goodness IIS remains at least. This just means that just about every
developer is going to use third party smtp servers - so what was the point
of not putting it in(?)

Incidentally, as, amongst the many versions of Vista, there's not a 'Vista
Development' version ;-) what version(s) have you found to be ok with
Visual Studio? I guess here we're choosing between the Premium, Business and
Ultimate. I fancied the ultimate (assuming you can make it act like a
business pc when you wanted it to, and not like a media centre).

Thanks,
JJ

Mark Rae

Hmmm not good to make the customer suffer because of some internal
problems.

Yes indeed. As I mentioned, sometimes Microsoft just baffle the heck out of
me... I really can't think of anything which would have justified this...

See this: http://tfl09.blogspot.com/2007/03/more-on-smtp-on-vista.html
It doesn't make for pretty reading...
Thank goodness IIS remains at least. This just means that just about every
developer is going to use third party smtp servers - so what was the point
of not putting it in(?)

Again, I haven't the slightest idea. Other Vista exclusions are also very
strange, to me at least, e.g.

Windows Fax and Scanning isn't available on Home Basic and Home Premium... I
know quite a few home users who have deliberately not upgraded to Vista
because of this...

BitLocker is available only on Ultimate! I work almost exclusively for
corporate clients, and every single one of them so far who has either
deployed Vista or is in the process of deploying Vista has gone for the
Business Edition - well, they would do wouldn't they, as that's what it's
for! For these clients, especially those who travel with laptops, BitLocker
would be particularly useful for protecting sensitive data in the case of
loss or theft of the laptop etc...
Incidentally, as, amongst the many versions of Vista, there's not a 'Vista
Development' version ;-) what version(s) have you found to be ok with
Visual Studio? I guess here we're choosing between the Premium, Business
and Ultimate. I fancied the ultimate (assuming you can make it act like a
business pc when you wanted it to, and not like a media centre).

I waited until the SP1 patch for Vista was available, and then upgraded to
64-bit Vista Business. I can honestly say that I haven't had a single issue
with it so far, other than the lack of SMTP support, of course...

Because I have an MSDN subscription, I have been able to look at stuff like
64-bit SQL Server Developer Edition (which runs like the proverbial off a
shovel!) and Exchange Server 2007. Incidentally, if you don't have a 64-bit
OS, Microsoft have provided a 32-bit version of Exchange 2007 as a virtual
machine...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> developer is going to use third party smtp servers
!> - so what was the point of not putting it in(?)

It's Microsoft's way of promoting 3rd party components for its IIS platform.

<vbg>