IIS on Vista home premium?

Steven Spits

Hi,

Plannig to buy Vista, but not sure what version to get.

I do VS.NET development, mostly ASP.NET.

Can IIS be installed on Vista home premium? Or do I need business or
ultimate?

Steven

- - -

Guest

Andy is incorrect. You can indeed install IIS on Vista Home Premium by going
to the Programs and Features control panel, and selecting Add/Remove Windows
features link on the left side of the control panel window. When selecting
the features you want to install, be sure and select the ones that enable
ASP.NET stuff.

Cheers!
Stephen

Robert Firth

It seems that a very limited version of IIS is on Home Premium. I doubt that
will satisfy your needs though.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

Juan T. Llibre

Not so.

IIS 7.0 can be installed, complete, on Home Premium.

Use this script to install every last bit which IIS 7.0 offers :

start /w pkgmgr
/iu:IIS-WebServerRole;IIS-WebServer;IIS-CommonHttpFeatures;IIS-StaticContent;IIS-DefaultDocument;IIS-DirectoryBrowsing;IIS-HttpErrors;IIS-HttpRedirect;IIS-ApplicationDevelopment;IIS-ASPNET;IIS-NetFxExtensibility;IIS-ASP;IIS-CGI;IIS-ISAPIExtensions;IIS-ISAPIFilter;IIS-ServerSideIncludes;IIS-HealthAndDiagnostics;IIS-HttpLogging;IIS-LoggingLibraries;IIS-RequestMonitor;IIS-HttpTracing;IIS-CustomLogging;IIS-Security;IIS-BasicAuthentication;IIS-URLAuthorization;IIS-RequestFiltering;IIS-IPSecurity;IIS-Performance;IIS-HttpCompressionStatic;IIS-HttpCompressionDynamic;IIS-WebServerManagementTools;IIS-ManagementConsole;IIS-ManagementScriptingTools;IIS-ManagementService;IIS-IIS6ManagementCompatibility;IIS-Metabase;IIS-WMICompatibility;IIS-LegacyScripts;IIS-LegacySnapIn;WAS-WindowsActivationService;WAS-ProcessModel;WAS-NetFxEnvironment;WAS-ConfigurationAPI

See:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...18b0-4c42-9884-5af83226e2bd1033.mspx?mfr=true

Ray

Yup and from I found out, it's even on the Home Basic,
the only difference between versions being the number
of concurrent connections allowed, from about 3 to 10.

That's good news for application compatibility :), 3-5 years
down the road! :-(

Steven Spits

Juan T. Llibre said:
IIS 7.0 can be installed, complete, on Home Premium.

First of all, thanks to all who responded.
Use this script to install every last bit which IIS 7.0 offers :

Are you very sure of this? A found one (and only one!) message from a guy
who tried to do ASP.NET development on his Vista home premium machine, and
he succesfully installed IIS. So far so good.

However, debugging was not possible. Vista home premium apparently does not
support Windows authentication, needed to debug an ASP.NET application from
within VS.NET.

Can anyone confirm this IS or ISN'T possible??

With kind regards,

Steven

- - -

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Are you very sure of this?

The original question was whether IIS could be *installed* on Vista Home Premium.
IIS, and all of its features, *can* be installed.

Some features may, or may not, work in specific OS's, though.

If you aim to develop web applications which require Windows Authentication (WA),
given that Home Premium does not support WA, you should consider using
another OS which *does* support WA.

In your case, they would be the Vista Ultimate, Business, and/or Enterprise Editions.

In this page :
http://207.46.196.114/WindowsServer...ddb7-4423-b1e5-df550e25713b1033.mspx?mfr=true
there's a handy feature comparison table for all versions of Vista.

Steven Spits

Juan T. Llibre said:
The original question was whether IIS could be *installed* on Vista Home
Premium.
IIS, and all of its features, *can* be installed.

Some features may, or may not, work in specific OS's, though.

Thank you, you made it clear for me.

Steven

- - -

Guest

Hi Ray,
Is it really possible to install IIS on home basic? I would be very glad if
it does.
Should I be running the same command to install it?

Please reply

Regards
Sujit

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Sujit,

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...18b0-4c42-9884-5af83226e2bd1033.mspx?mfr=true

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

S> Hi Ray,
S> Is it really possible to install IIS on home basic? I would be very
S> glad if
S> it does.
S> Should I be running the same command to install it?
S> Please reply
S>
S> Regards
S> Sujit
S> "Ray" wrote:

Mr. Arnold

Michael Nemtsev said:

What version of Vista Home Premium is this? From what I understand, IIS 7
comes with Premium, at least on the one that was installed on the computer
when I purchased it.

The only problem with that IIS 7 is that it doesn't have Front Page
Extensions, which is needed for development solutions such a VS 2003 or
2005. That's why I had to upgrade to Ultimate to get the Front Page
Extensions and IIS 7 together, which is also part of Vista Business.

Guest

How do I save the script and what script program do I use for this:?

[...]

You can do it in two ways.

One way is to install IIS, using the graphical interface, as detailed at :

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...18b0-4c42-9884-5af83226e2bd1033.mspx?mfr=true

You don't have to run the Pkgmgr.exe "script" (really a batch file)
if you install IIS from the UI.

OR, you can copy the pkgmgr.exe script on that page into a text file and make sure the
whole thing is in ONE line, and then rename the text file to "InstallAndConfigureIIS.bat",
open a command window to the directory it's in, and execute the batch file.

Both ways do exactly the same thing, if you select all the "Application Development Features"
and the "Web Management Tools" in the UI when you install it, as that page explains :

---000---
If you use Control Panel to install IIS, you get the default installation, which has a minimum set
of features. If you need additional IIS features, such as Application Development Features or
Web Management Tools, make sure to select the check boxes associated with those features
in the Windows Features dialog box.

1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click Programs and then click Turn on or off Windows Features.
3. In the Windows Features dialog box, click Internet Information Services and then click OK.
---000---

Guest

Thanks, Stephen. I set up my new my PC last night, but could not find IIS
for my SQL Srvr Express Ed until reading your msg about 5 mins ago. On my PC
I had to:

click on the main 'Programs' link (as opposed to add/remove, etc.);
then under 'Programs and Features' select the 2nd link 'Turn Windows
features on or off';
then selected IIS which is the 3rd option.

I know this is detailed, but some get stressed over finding features in
Windows' upgrades. Also, I saw a lot of links online about downloading IIS
which is totally unnecessary.

Vanessa

Steven Spits said:
First of all, thanks to all who responded.

Are you very sure of this? A found one (and only one!) message from a guy
who tried to do ASP.NET development on his Vista home premium machine, and
he succesfully installed IIS. So far so good.

However, debugging was not possible. Vista home premium apparently does not
support Windows authentication, needed to debug an ASP.NET application from
within VS.NET.

Can anyone confirm this IS or ISN'T possible??

With kind regards,

Steven

- - -

This got debugging to work on my Home Premium
http://ericappel.net/blog/UsingVisualStudio2005OnVista.aspx