ASPNET or Network Service account on Vista Home Premium

Oltmans

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install DotNetNuke on Microsoft Vista Home Premium. I
already have .NET framework 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server
Express installed on my PC. To install DotNetNuke, I'm following
instructions here http://www.vbnetexpert.com/DotNetNuke/DNNVersion3/InstallingDNN/tabid/83/Default.aspx.
I'm stuck on following

- Give the ASPNET (WinXP) or Network Service (Server 2003) account
Read, Write, and Modify permissions on the directory you unzipped to.
See the Host Settings page, ASP.NET Identity under the new Site
Configuration section to be sure.

Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
workaround to acheive the above ?

I've searched internet and tried many different things, none of which
worked. So I will really appreciate any idea/help. Many thanks for
your time and help.

Juan T. Llibre

Save this code as "identity.aspx" :

--------------------
<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
<script runat="server">
Sub Page_Load()
Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
Label1.Text = "ASP.NET is running as the account : " & tmp
End Sub
</script>
<head>
<title>What account is ASP.NET running as ?</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
</form>
-------------------

....and run identity.aspx in the root directory.

That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

===============

Mr. Arnold

Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
workaround to acheive the above ?

NT Authority\System machine account is the ASPNET machine account on Vista,
which you'll need to add to the folder or files in question using NTFS
Security tab.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4229 (20090709) __________

http://www.eset.com

Gregory A. Beamer

[...]

That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!

Gregory A. Beamer

Now I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot find ASPNET or Network
Service accounts. What do I do now? How can I create them on Vista
Home premium? Can we do that on Vista home premium? Also, if I cannot
create any of these accounts on Vista home premium then is there any
workaround to acheive the above ?

Yes, there is a "workaround" of sorts. If you have the files under the
wwwroot folder somewhere, the proper accounts should have permissions. You
may havve to unzip elsewhere and then copy into that folder (not move) to
have the permissions all set correctly, but that is the worst.

If you end up having to set the permissions up, you can drill through the
security tab into advanced permissions if system is not already showing up
on the list of users.

1. Right click root folder and select permissions
2. Click security tab
3. Click advanced
4. Click change permissions
5. Click add
6. Give permissions and OK out of properties

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>> ...and run identity.aspx in the root directory.
!>> That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
!>> Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

!> That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!

Thanks, Greg.

I'm kinda proud of having written that relatively simple code.
It's saved my skin a lot, and helped a bunch of other people, too.

It wasn't that hard to write once I knew that
WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name() returned the ASP.NET account name... ;-)

That was one of the reasons I decided to *really* study
the .Net Framework classes which ASP.NET uses.

Doing that, in turn, lifted some of the other veils.

===============

Gregory A. Beamer

re:
!>> ...and run identity.aspx in the root directory.
!>> That will tell you which account ASP.NET is running as.
!>> Then, give that account Read, Write, and Modify permissions.

!> That is pretty cool Juan. Kudos!

Thanks, Greg.

I'm kinda proud of having written that relatively simple code.
It's saved my skin a lot, and helped a bunch of other people, too.

It wasn't that hard to write once I knew that
WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name() returned the ASP.NET account name...
;-)

That was one of the reasons I decided to *really* study
the .Net Framework classes which ASP.NET uses.

Doing that, in turn, lifted some of the other veils.

IMO, Richter's book should be on every .NET developer's book shelf, as
it gets into how .NET works underneath the hood.

I just recently posted about authentication and authorization and how
IIS and windows work together:
http://tinyurl.com/m9jcc7

Together with the script you posted, we have both the how (to do it) and
why (it works). :)

HillBilly

Richter's book?