Process.Start/ASP.NET under **Vista**

Dilip

I am almost afraid to ask this question but under Windows Vista can an
ASP.NET application launch an interactive UI based process using
Process.Start(..)?

I see various posts that recomment the ASPNET account be granted
"interactive logon" rights. and allowing IIS Admin service to
interact with the desktop. However under Vista services CANNOT
interact with desktop, period (and there is no IIS Admin Service
anyway). There is no ASPNET account on Vista -- how does one grant
sufficient permissions to NETWORK SERVICE to get this to work?

Is there a way out?

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Dilip,

Why do u need to do this? Because there could be other more "normal" ways
to achive your requirement

---
WBR,

D> I am almost afraid to ask this question but under Windows Vista can
D> an ASP.NET application launch an interactive UI based process using
D> Process.Start(..)?
D>
D> I see various posts that recomment the ASPNET account be granted
D> "interactive logon" rights. and allowing IIS Admin service to
D> interact with the desktop. However under Vista services CANNOT
D> interact with desktop, period (and there is no IIS Admin Service
D> anyway). There is no ASPNET account on Vista -- how does one grant
D> sufficient permissions to NETWORK SERVICE to get this to work?
D>
D> Is there a way out?

Dilip

Hello Dilip,

Why do u need to do this? Because there could be other more "normal" ways
to achive your requirement

Its a long story. I would love to elaborate but its very difficult to
explain anything coherently without giving you the complete picture
right from the beginning which would only serve to confuse the
issues. Think of this as a legacy hurdle with our product.

For the moment can you tell me if its even possible to launch an UI
app from an ASP.NET application running under IIS7/Vista?

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

I am sure it can be done, but the problem is - the UI app is going to run on
the webserver, not on the client. Probably nobody will even be logged on to
see it and dismiss any dialogs, so "not advised".
--Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog: htp://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

Dilip

I am sure it can be done, but the problem is - the UI app is going to run on
the webserver, not on the client. Probably nobody will even be logged on to
see it and dismiss any dialogs, so "not advised".
--Peter

If it can be done I owe you a huge glass of beer. I know the UI app
is going to run on the web server and that is perfectly alright. The
machine where the webserver is running is logged on _all_the_time_!

I need this to work on both Vista and XP eventually. What would I
need to do?

bruce barker

services do not access desktop. in earlier versions of the os you set a
checkbox "interact with desktop" on the service (required service running as
admin). Vista has completely removed this feature.

your best bet is to write a controlling applicaton that runs when the user
logins in to the vista box (put in startup group). the website can use
remoting to talk to the controlling application which will do the actual
start and pass parameters and input/ output stream data.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Dilip

You can't possibly be serious...

I am. Have you seen applications running on big kiosks that allow
patrons to selfcheck items they rent from the library? Those
applications cover the entire real estate of the monitor and run
forever 24x7. Access to that kiosk is locked out (no keyboards or
mouse or such).

Dilip

services do not access desktop. in earlier versions of the os you set a
checkbox "interact with desktop" on the service (required service running as
admin). Vista has completely removed this feature.

your best bet is to write a controlling applicaton that runs when the user
logins in to the vista box (put in startup group). the website can use
remoting to talk to the controlling application which will do the actual
start and pass parameters and input/ output stream data.

This is what we eventually decided. Thanks for validating!