Visual interdev creating web site

WizyDig

How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to be
something like
http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual Inter
Dev to let us create such a site.

Wiz

Bob Barrows

WizyDig said:
How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to
be something like
http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual
Inter Dev to let us create such a site.
This would have been more on-topic in one of the interdev groups, probably
m.p.vi.general, but:

Create a new project. In the wizard give the project a name. On the next
screen, tell it the name of the web server to which you want it to connect
(it does not let me specify an IP address - it only allows me to enter a
name). On the next screen, tell it to connect to an existing web
application, and select <root web> from the drop down. That's it.

followps set to .vi.general

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

WizyDig said:
How do you create a project in Visual Inter Dev that is part of a web
site other than the default web site. We create the site in IIS but
Visual Inter Dev does see the new site. In the end I want my Url to be
something like
http://131.1.1.1/default.asp. We have not been able to get Visual Inter
Dev to let us create such a site.

You simply point it at the URL of the other web site. Have you installed
the FrontPage Server Extensions on the other site?

WizyDig

That works on the remote server which is a Win 2003 box but one of my
guys can't get it to work on his dev workstation he's running win 2k
server looking for localhost on a differant port. Is there something in
Localhost that would prevent you from hooking in on another port. The
site is set up on that port.

-Very strange

Wiz

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

WizyDig said:
That works on the remote server which is a Win 2003 box but one of my
guys can't get it to work on his dev workstation he's running win 2k
server looking for localhost on a differant port. Is there something in
Localhost that would prevent you from hooking in on another port. The
site is set up on that port.

If a different post is being used then you need to explicitly include it,
such as http://localhost:90.

WizyDig

Yep were doing that. But for some stange reason the localhost version
is causing some deficulty. for example

someotherserver:8081
works
but
localhost:8081
does not on this particular box.

It must be the way we have the web site set up in IIS on the local dev
box. I'm going to look more into to that. I don't think it's actually
a Visual interdev problem.

Thanks for all the input.
Wiz