Visual Studio and SQL Server - basic question

JJ

My potential shared hosting platform uses SQL server 2005. I am developing
on the Express version.

In order to make sure I am not going to cause myself any problems when I
move my ASP .net 2.0 sites (developed in Vis Studio 2005) to the host,
should I be using my developers version of SQL 2005?

If so, can I install it and keep my current instance of the SQL Server
Express edition? Or will installing the dev version upgrade that instance?

Thanks,

JJ

JJ

Also, I assume then I'd need to also change the default profile/membership
provider from SQL Express to SQL server?
Is that easy to do?
JJ

Mark Rae

My potential shared hosting platform uses SQL server 2005. I am developing
on the Express version.

In order to make sure I am not going to cause myself any problems when I
move my ASP .net 2.0 sites (developed in Vis Studio 2005) to the host,
should I be using my developers version of SQL 2005?

If so, can I install it and keep my current instance of the SQL Server
Express edition?

Slightly puzzled as to why you would want to do this... You say your host
uses SQL Server 2005, and you have a copy of SQL Server 2005...why would you
want to continue to use the Express edition...?

cannontrodder

If you have a developers version, you are allowed to use that for
development under the terms of the msdn subscription.

You shouldn't find any problems moving to sql server 2005 at all.

JJ

Only because I am not totally decided on which way my development strategy
may go.
I may use mySQL for some of my large applications, and SQL server express
for others.

It is all dependant on my client s need and what hosting strategy I am going
to choose.

i.e. I want to keep my options open.

So can I keep my Express edition , or does installing the dev version it
over write it by default?

*And how easy is it to change the default profile provider from SQL Express
to SQL Server?

Thanks very much,

JJ

msnews.microsoft.com

You can use Express without issue, unless you need the few features not
found in Express. Make sure you have the Express Manager downloaded, as it
is a hard ride without it.

BTW, there are few features (programmatic) that are not in the Express
product.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

msnews.microsoft.com

You can install both on the same machine. Express is simply an instance.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

msnews.microsoft.com

Can you change a connection string?

Search: (local)\$Express
Replace: SomeOtherServer

Might have to change how it connects (windows auth versus SQL auth), but
that is easy.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

JJ

It wasn't existing sites I wanted to change, it was the default provider
that Visual Studio sets up when you create a new site.
How do I ensure that Visual Studio uses SQL server 2005 and not the Express
version by default for all new sites I create?

(When I go to the Admin tool, I want it to be using the SQL 2005 serve not
the express....)
??
JJ