VS 2005 to VS 2008

Lloyd Sheen

Anyone ever get this to work. Posted previous problems. With much screwing
around I got past them.

Now I have a simple ascx file with a code behind.

Only line in ascx:
<%@ WebService Language="VB" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/LogFilesPlayed.vb"
Class="LogFilesPlayed" %>

Error 1 Could not create type 'LogFilesPlayed'. C:\Visual Studio
Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\LogFilesPlayed.asmx 1

This is pretty much insane. I installed VWD 2008 and made new folder, and
ran it. There must be something I am missing or is the wonderful conversion
wizard not that great?

I knew it would not be simple to convert but this is crazy.

Thanks
Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen said:
Anyone ever get this to work. Posted previous problems. With much
screwing around I got past them.

Now I have a simple ascx file with a code behind.

Only line in ascx:
<%@ WebService Language="VB" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/LogFilesPlayed.vb"
Class="LogFilesPlayed" %>

Error 1 Could not create type 'LogFilesPlayed'. C:\Visual Studio
Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\LogFilesPlayed.asmx 1

This is pretty much insane. I installed VWD 2008 and made new folder, and
ran it. There must be something I am missing or is the wonderful
conversion wizard not that great?

I knew it would not be simple to convert but this is crazy.

Thanks
Lloyd Sheen

Ok now it seems that somehow I managed to convince VS 2008 that my folder
structure required that the top level folder was the solution. Now the
original solution contained the web site and a project with the DAL. Simply
creating a new folder with the web site folder and the DAL folder did not
work and all the references were totally out of wack.

What I had to do was delete all this so that VS 2008 told me it could not
find it and then recopy the two folders under a general folder I have
created for VS projects.

I could then open the web site and add an existing project (DAL). This
brings things back to "normal"

I have noticed in my testing that several things I thought were fixed
(enhanced) are not. The support for Ajax Toolkit is worse in the designer
that VS 2005. Using the Tab control a simple click of the container to see
the user control used for each tab somehow screwed up the entire layout. I
copied the old markup back in and things were ok but still unusable in the
designer. Before I did this I used the CTL-Z trick to keep going back and
...... (wait for it) the designer would goback a step (one for each click of
a tab) until there was nothing more to go back to and then .... (wait for it
again) VS 2008 shut down (that is why I had to recopy the code).

I am not impressed.

LS

Lloyd Sheen

Peter Bromberg said:
You may "not be impressed", but you are complaining about a lot of common
issues that revolve around conversion of projects that you just need to
study
and get to the point where you understand. You are not alone.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

Sorry forgot to put the <rant> tags in my statements. But I am still amazed
that this being my 3rd workstation with VS 2003 / 2005 and 2008 that the IDE
still gives problems with graphics. The Start/Debug toolbar still does not
show as enabled unless you move the mouse over it and I still have to
sometimes minimize / restore to get the IDE back in working order. That is
3 PCs with different configuration including graphics cards and OS both XP
Pro and Vista Ultimate.

</rant>

Thanks
LS