w3wp.exe - Application Error (IIS 6, ASP.Net 2.0)

Mark A. Ziesemer

I've seen a few other postings that looked similar to this, but most appear
to have died without any working solutions, and lacked any helpful level of
information to see if they might be related. I'm thinking this is an
ASP.Net 2.0 bug, but would like to try to elaborate it further. I'm hoping
to see if someone else may be having the same issue.

Error: (Popup on the desktop) Title: "w3wp.exe - Application Error"

The instruction at "0x001f0001" referenced memory at "0x800703e3". The
memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

What I've found so far: This error is happening when the IIS worker process
containing my ASP.Net 2.0 application recycles. I can reproduce it by
visiting the web page (to initialize the app), then manually recycling the
application pool. I tried moving the application into a new pool, without
any change.

The application pool is set to run as "Network Service". If I change this
to "Local System", I can't reproduce the error.

This error is happening on a new server with a clean install of Windows
Server 2003 SP1. I have been able to reproduce this on an older Win2k3
system, installed over a year ago, and upgraded to SP1 shortly after it was
released. The two systems are quite different in terms of both hardware and
installed software.

I'm running a simple ASP.Net application that connects to a database and
returns a few rows to the page. I'm using SQL Server Express 2005,
connecting using the SqlClient provider, and using a trusted connection.
There isn't any native or unsafe code being run, nor are any COM components
or anything else unusual being used. This is also the only application on
the one server. It is the first application I've deployed under ASP.Net
2.0.

The only other evidence I can find of the error is an event in the
Application Event Log. (Source: Application Error, Category 100, Event ID:
1000)

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.1830, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x006f0043. (This is from a
separate crash than the above popup.)

I will try reproducing this without the SQL component, and creating a new
ASP.Net project to see if I can narrow this down a bit farther, but it will
probably have to wait until next week. I'll post whatever I find when I do.

Please ask if you need any additional information. Thanks!