Was IBM's Watson program written in Java?

Nasser M. Abbasi

I was just curios what language Watson was written in.

I was looking at video on tube of Watson winning jeopardy
and during the interview with the manager of the project at
IBM, they showed what looked to me like Java code one a
computer screen.

I am almost sure it was Java, but it went too fast.

I wanted to know if someone knows more about this and may be
what is the program size.

thanks
--Nasser

Arne Vajhøj

I was just curios what language Watson was written in.

I was looking at video on tube of Watson winning jeopardy
and during the interview with the manager of the project at
IBM, they showed what looked to me like Java code one a
computer screen.

I am almost sure it was Java, but it went too fast.

I wanted to know if someone knows more about this and may be
what is the program size.

The team listed at:
http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/systems_team.shtml
mentions Hadoop and some Eclipse tool.

The article at:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs124/AIMagzine-DeepQA.pdf
mentions JMS.

The article here:

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Watson+computer+Ottawa+roots/4290481/story.html
mentions JVM.

It sure sounds like Java.

Arne

Andreas Leitgeb

Arne Vajhøj said:
There can easily have been some functionality where they
preferred C++.
OS interface. Some matrix calculations. Lots of things.

ordered 'bool'eans ... ;-)