web application testing

Charlie

Hi folks,
There is a web application that I am working on now, it was written in
PERL, the backend DB is postgresql, and it runs on LINUX. One of
issues that I am looking at is the performance. We want to know the
behaviour it looks like when it is hit by the maximum users. The
machine that I can use for testing is a win2K PC, and my extra budget
for that testing is 0.

All I need to know is in which direction I may go.

1. find some existing tools to do the test?
That may be easiest way to go. If it is, Any kind of tools your guys
may recommend ?

2. write some code in perl to do the simulation.
I was thinking about that, and I have found the Module called
"Mechanize" in perl that helps users to access the web. The problem I
have now is how I can simulate certain amount of persons to access
the web in a limited of time ? In other words, I want to see in that
limited of time, that amount of users accessing the application
smoothly while under the same condition, in the same amount of time,
more users' accessing, will mess up the server? how can I implement it
? What the structure might be ? !!!

3. for whatever way I choose, how can I tell the "bottle neck" is not
because of the test tool I am using, but is of the application itself
?

Thanks very much for the help!

Charlie Ji

James Willmore

There is a web application that I am working on now, it was written in
PERL, the backend DB is postgresql, and it runs on LINUX. One of
issues that I am looking at is the performance. We want to know the
behaviour it looks like when it is hit by the maximum users. The
machine that I can use for testing is a win2K PC, and my extra budget
for that testing is 0.

All I need to know is in which direction I may go.

[ ... ]

HTTP::WebTest
(http://search.cpan.org/~ilyam/HTTP-WebTest-2.04/lib/HTTP/WebTest.pm) may
fit the bill for you.

You might be able to use WWW::Mechanize
(http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/WWW-Mechanize-1.02/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm)
might also be a module to look over.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Whatever is not nailed down is mine. What I can pry loose is
not nailed down. -- Collis P. Huntingdon