Web-based games?

Abdelkader Boudih

Seth said:
This could be tricky to set up... but I think you have a good idea here.
What about making a web-based multiplayer game that communicates
entierly peer to peer? That's how most of the fat client online games
work... the server let's meet and chat with people to set up a game
with. Once the game starts, each player's computer talks directly to the
other player's computers and not to the server.
Connection peer to peer require installable software in the users machine .
Most of big games, set-up a server/like and open a port to listen to
incoming connection .
Using flash/js to connect directly to another computer is impossible.
What we can do it that the server relay result and the game should send
only few data or just updated actions.
Personally , I think that ruby should be used to code the logics of the
game in a clean way! while flash/js will handle the user inputs!

Regards
Abdelkader Boudih

Charles Oliver Nutter

Bill said:
Oh well... I was hoping we were finally at the point where
we could easily write some high quality applet games in JRuby,
but it looks like we're not _quite_ there yet...

Have a look at ruby-processing...I bet you could do some pretty cool
stuff with it.

http://www.the-shoebox.org/apps/44

- Charlie

Michal Suchanek

This could be tricky to set up... but I think you have a good idea here.
What about making a web-based multiplayer game that communicates
entierly peer to peer? That's how most of the fat client online games
work... the server let's meet and chat with people to set up a game
with. Once the game starts, each player's computer talks directly to the
other player's computers and not to the server.

That completely ruins the experience of web based games that can be
played easily at any time from any place with network connectivity
using only a web browser. For security reasons the browser scripts are
only allowed to connect to the server from which they were loaded. And
many people have firewalls or address translation that forbid p2p
connections entirely or make them very hard to set up.
Does anyone here know of this already being done in a Flash or Java
web-based game? I think it could be done, although it would probably be
difficult.

It could be done in Java because trusted Java applets can connect to
the network. Still the problems with setting up networking for p2p
apply to any language.

Thanks

Michal