Web.config Intellisense ASP.NET 2.0

Joerg Jooss

S. Justin Gengo said:
Guys,

Nope I haven't mixed things up. (I thought so too at first.) But I
have identified and can recreate the problem every time now.

Here are the steps:

Create a new website with a web.config file. It's created without the
xmlns attribute.

I'm using source safe, and while I don't think it matters my tests
have been with the project added to source control. So, I first check
out the web.config file and then from the menu I run Website -
ASP.NET Configuration.

Just opening the website configuration page adds the xmlns attribute
to the configuration file.

OK, that's exactly the one piece of software I haven't used so far :-/

Thanks for pointing this out!

Juan T. Llibre

I just found a previous bug filed for the same issue :

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=8a3d7d13-33ac-4d2b-b22c-e7a2168bcc5e

It was filed by Josh Flanagan on Oct. 29
( just a few days before... )

I voted for it and validated it.
I suggest those interested in resolution do the same.

We won't get resolution soon, but maybe by SP1 ... ;-)

In the meantime, don't use the website configuration tool but, if you do,
make sure you change the <configuration xmlns=" line back to <configuration>.

S. Justin Gengo

Hmmmm, I missed that one when I was looking for it as a reported bug. Should
have seen that.

I vote for it too.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Scott Allen

I just confirmed that, if you use the
Website Configuration Tool it *does* add the :

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
tag, substituting the original <configuration> tag.

Yep, that's a definite bugger. It tripped me up in a code camp
presentation last weekend when I wanted to ease the amount of typing I
did in the .config file.

Intellisense is a god send for those of us who type with 4 fingers...

Argh.

Angelo Cook

I have had similar issues with this to and I also have removed the xmlns
tag, but when you use the web admin tool it get placed back in. Maybe I
need to reinstall, I never installed the beta.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Maybe I need to reinstall

You don't need to do that.
This is a bona-fide bug for the web site administration tool.

The bug was validated by the VS.NET team at :
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produ...edbackid=8a3d7d13-33ac-4d2b-b22c-e7a2168bcc5e

The WSAT should *not* be inserting that string.
That string *was* correct for Beta 1, but was eliminated for Beta 2.

Angelo Cook said:
I have had similar issues with this to and I also have removed the xmlns tag, but when
you use the web admin tool it get placed back in. Maybe I need to reinstall, I never
installed the beta.

S. Justin Gengo said:
I installed the release of Visual Studio.NET 2005 Professional a few days ago. I've been
using the Beta for a few weeks and one immediate problem is that I don't seem to have
full intellisense in the web.config file.

I get intellisense, but it's only displaying three very basic choices:
<!--
<![CDATA[
<?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Anyone know how to get full intellisense in the web.config file as advertised?

Thanks,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com