Web.config Intellisense ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. I installed the release of Visual Studio.NET 2005 Professional a few days
    ago. I've been using the Beta for a few weeks and one immediate problem is
    that I don't seem to have full intellisense in the web.config file.

    I get intellisense, but it's only displaying three very basic choices:
    <!--
    <![CDATA[
    <?

    Is anyone else having this problem?

    Anyone know how to get full intellisense in the web.config file as
    advertised?

    Thanks,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Juan,

    Yes, that's what I was getting in the beta. Now, I only get the three
    choices I mentioned in my previous post.

    It's slightly annoying. If I figure out the fix I'll post it in case anyone
    else has the same problem.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005

  3. S. Justin Gengo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    You can either create a new web.config and copy the contents of your
    Beta 2 file over to new file (use a merge tool like WinMerge), or you
    try to remove the xmlns attribute from the configuration node as a
    quick fix:

    <configuration
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

    should be

    <configuration>

    Cheers,

    Joerg Jooss, Nov 6, 2005
  4. Great pointer, Joerg!

    I just confirmed the behavior, by replacing the <configuration>
    tag in my *good* web.config with :

    <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

    And immediately, the same symptoms Justin descibed begin,

    i.e. I get intellisense, but it only displays the choices:
    <!--
    <![CDATA[
    <?

    Just changing it back to <configuration> "fixes" it.
    It's not actually a "fix" but the replacement of a misconfiguration, right ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005
  5. Thanks guys!

    I didn't realize the config section shouldn't have the xmlns in it. Well, I
    shouldn't say "shouldn't have". But I wonder why they put that in by default
    when it eliminates intellisense? That would have been easy to fix I for a
    release version I would think...

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  6. For now I'm just going to move this info down to a commented line:

    <configuration>

    <!-- xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0"-->

    That way I can put it back in if I discover it's needed for any reason.

    Thanks again!

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  7. re:
    It's not a default.

    I have a feeling your web.config was created with Beta 1 or Beta 2,
    and you didn't recollect that it wasn't created from scratch.

    With the release version, when you create a web.config in an
    application which doesn't have one, what VS includes is this :

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
    Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the
    web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use
    the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.
    A full list of settings and comments can be found in
    machine.config.comments usually located in
    \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
    -->
    <configuration>

    <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    is not included when a new web.config is created in the release version of VS.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005
  8. Juan,

    No, this was a brand new website I built for testing. I used the New ASP.NET
    Website selection to create it and this is how the web.config was by
    default.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  9. S. Justin Gengo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Well, it fixes the now broken content created with Beta 2 ;-)

    In Beta 2 (and maybe earlier versions) the xmlns attribute was being
    used. It has been removed in VS 2005 RTM.

    Cheers,

    Joerg Jooss, Nov 6, 2005
  10. S. Justin Gengo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Probably, yes. It's not mentioned in
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/3/8/e38818ae-31e5-462b-b9ad-e6d
    3cd6ad7c1/Breaking%20Changes%20Beta2%20to%20RTM.doc

    Cheers,

    Joerg Jooss, Nov 6, 2005
  11. Weird!

    I just re-tested creating 3 new websites in each of 3 different languages
    ( VB.NET, C# and J# ) and in none of the web.configs was the
    xmlns=" attribute included.

    We may have different versions of the release version.

    ;-)

    These are the things which sometimes make me scratch my head.

    What is the version number shown when you open "Help"
    and then click on "About Microsoft Visual Studio" ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005
  12. re:
    Yes, that's my recollection, too, but Justin seems to be saying
    that this attribute is being added with the *release* version.

    I don't understand why.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005
  13. S. Justin Gengo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    I'm sure he has mixed things up.

    Cheers,

    Joerg Jooss, Nov 6, 2005
  14. Juan,

    I've got:

    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
    Version 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 2.0.50727

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  15. Joerg,

    Thanks, the document will come in handy!

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  16. Guys,

    Nope I haven't mixed things up. (I thought so too at first.) But I have
    identified and can recreate the problem every time now.

    Here are the steps:

    Create a new website with a web.config file. It's created without the xmlns
    attribute.

    I'm using source safe, and while I don't think it matters my tests have been
    with the project added to source control. So, I first check out the
    web.config file and then from the menu I run Website - ASP.NET
    Configuration.

    Just opening the website configuration page adds the xmlns attribute to the
    configuration file.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  17. S. Justin Gengo

    Greg Burns Guest

    I don't have sourcesafe on my home machine, and I am seeing the same thing.
    The ASP.NET Configuration tool seems to be doing it.

    Greg

    Greg Burns, Nov 6, 2005
  18. After searching the bug reports I saw a bug that was related to this but no
    report for this particular bug.

    I've reported it now.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  19. Thanks everyone for helping out here.

    Juan, you always give great answers to everything. Joerg, thanks for helping
    to point me in the correct direction to recreate this problem. And Greg,
    thanks for identifying that the problem occurrs regardless of source safe.
    That saved me a few minutes of project creation.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 6, 2005
  20. I just confirmed that, if you use the
    Website Configuration Tool it *does* add the :

    <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    tag, substituting the original <configuration> tag.

    That doesn't happen when the "Add file" menu choice is taken.

    So, it's a bug! Filing it was a good move...

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 6, 2005