Web methods in user controls?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi MarkShoe,

As for the question you mentioned, do you mean you have an existing ASP.NET
webservice, and you're wantting to call this webservice in a certain method
of an ASP.NET ascx usercontrol?

If this is the case, I think it is certainly supported. A usercontrol will
be embeded in an ASP.NET web page. As long as web page postback events can
perform webservice method call, usercontrol methods can also do the same
thing.

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I misunderstand.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

MarkShoe

Hi Steven, thanks for your reply. Perhaps my question was too general.
Allow me to be a bit more specific.

I have a simple web user control with a button and a div on it. On the
containing page, I have a ScriptManager with EnablePageMethods=true.
When the user clicks the button, I would like it to log the time into the
'timelog' div. What actually happens though, is that when I click the
button, I get a javascript error claiming that PageMethods is not defined.
My question is whether using a webmethod within a user control is supported,
and if not, if there is another way to do this?

Here's the .ascx:

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
CodeBehind="MyUserControl.ascx.cs" Inherits="MyUserControl" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>

<script type="text/javascript">
function RetrieveTime(controlId){
PageMethods.GetTime(controlId,ReceiveTime);
}
function ReceiveTime(time){
document.getElementById('timeLog').innerHTML += '<br />' + time;
}
</script>

<asp:ScriptManagerProxy ID="ScriptManagerProxy1"
runat="server"></asp:ScriptManagerProxy>
<input id="Button1" type="button" value="button"
onclick="RetrieveTime(this.id);"/>

========== And here's the code-behind ============

public partial class MyUserControl : System.Web.UI.UserControl

[WebMethod]
public static String GetTime(String controlId)
{
return System.DateTime.Now.ToString();

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and the further clarity.

Now I've got your actual concern, that is try to make an codebehind method
in ascx usercontrol be called by AJAX client service call.

Based on my research, I'm afraid codebehind method in ascx control can not
be directly exposed as AJAX webservice methods(called via Page methods
collection). We have to modify the page's codebehind so as to support some
certain ajax function calls.

BTW, I've found a forum thread in which someone mentioned a workaround for
his particular scenario. You can have a look to see whether it fits your
case also:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1145083/1857883.aspx#1857883

From: "MarkShoe" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Web methods in user controls?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:48:50 -0500

[...]

Thanks Steven, you have confirmed my suspicions and answered my question.

I will consider using one of these 3 alternatives:

1. A web service which can be accessed from the web user control
(Although I don't really want to expose these methods publically with a
web service)

2. Using client script callbacks
(Not as flexible as the WebMethod -> PageMethod approach; can only pass
one string parameter)

3. The workaround you suggested.
(Requires that the WebMethod be in the page rather than the control;
making the web user control less independent)

Thanks very much for your help.

Mark

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and the further clarity.

Now I've got your actual concern, that is try to make an codebehind method
in ascx usercontrol be called by AJAX client service call.

Based on my research, I'm afraid codebehind method in ascx control can not
be directly exposed as AJAX webservice methods(called via Page methods
collection). We have to modify the page's codebehind so as to support some
certain ajax function calls.

BTW, I've found a forum thread in which someone mentioned a workaround for
his particular scenario. You can have a look to see whether it fits your
case also:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1145083/1857883.aspx#1857883

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

rights.
From: "MarkShoe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:48:50 -0500

[...]

Thanks for your reply and sharing the further ideas with us.

If you meet other problems later, also welcome to post here.

BTW, you're also recommended to post your comments or any suggestion to the
product feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

this will be very helpful for our future improvement.