Web Service Compression when ASP.NET is Consuming

Andy

Hi all, I'm familiar with web service compression and how to implement
it in a Winforms app. What I'm trying to figure out how to do at this
point is how to consume the service from an ASP.NET page. I've surfed
around quite a bit looking for an answer to this, but most of the stuff
I'm seeing is either talking about consuming from a Winforms app or
enabling web compression for ASPX pages to the user's browser.

Here's our setup: We have two servers. One of them is the ASP.NET
application, which is what the users are accessing. The second server
only hosts the web service that the ASP.NET app is calling. We're
going to have a respectable amount of requests from the ASP.NET
application the web service, so we want to enable web compression
through GZip to minimize bandwidth between them. On the server hosting
the web server we have installed a third-party application which gives
us more advanced support for GZipped compressed requests/responses (the
main reason we went with it is for the reports and monitoring tools it
comes with). We are only interested in enabling compression between
the web server and the web service server, NOT between the web server
and the user's browser.

So at this point, I'm not exactly sure of what to do on the ASP.NET
application's end of things; since it's running through IIS, can I
simply tell it to request the compressed response and expect that it'll
know how to decode the response?

Or do we have to code to tell the ASP.NET application to insert the
GZip header in the request and then make a SoapInputFilter to handle
the response (exactly like a Winforms app)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the webservice call from asp.net is the same as one for winforms (same
code). you will have to do the same work.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)