web services - need help

Blueparty

I am working on Java client for .NET web service.I've managed to consume
some services from

http://www.webservicex.net

It is pretty straightforward and works.

My ultimate goal is to rplace .NET agent that connects to a service
maintained by particular provider.

Provider offers communication via Microsoft DataSet types. I understud
that Dataset can not be accepted by Java, because it is Microsoft
specific. I am supposed to recommend an alternative data structure which
Java can understand.

The data is list of "records", each contains strings, dates, integer and
floats. I suppose that Java could deal with some kind of array of
objects of certain class. Does it need to be declared as fixed size array ?

Is there anywhere a similar service I could test (write client for it) ?
The service should be free, and deal with some general topics, so I
could understand what it does. I've found some very specific stock
exchange and financial services, but I was not able to understand what
they do, what kind of input is required and what is the result.

Post some links, if you know, please.

Arne Vajhøj

Blueparty said:
[...]

Tell them to return an array of a custom class with properties.

You will see that on the Java side as an array of a custom class with
get and set methods.

Works great.

Arne

Blueparty

do, what kind of input is required and what is the result.
Tell them to return an array of a custom class with properties.

You mean, an array of classes with no methods, just data ?
Does array need to be fixed size ? I am not familiar with .NET
and C#, but I guess there are data types like static arrays and
dynamic lists.

I have to send some data to them. Should I do the same ?

You will see that on the Java side as an array of a custom class with
get and set methods.

Is there any such service out there, so I could test ? I've found
some but they are simple.

Arne Vajhøj

Blueparty said:
do, what kind of input is required and what is the result.

You mean, an array of classes with no methods, just data ?
Yes.

Does array need to be fixed size ?

No. In fact C# just like Java does not even allow you to
specify a fixed size.
> I am not familiar with .NET
and C#, but I guess there are data types like static arrays and
dynamic lists.

..NET has collections very similar to Java.

I seem to recall that a List in .NET end up as an array in the WSDL
and Java, but to play it safe just use array.
I have to send some data to them. Should I do the same ?
Yes.

Is there any such service out there, so I could test ? I've found
some but they are simple.

The best solution would be to install .NET on your own PC - assuming you
use Windows of course.

Else try and check the list at:
http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po

Arne

Blueparty

Arne said:
No. In fact C# just like Java does not even allow you to
specify a fixed size.

What I meant is should it be like this:

class DataContainer {

DataContainer[] dcList=new DataContainer[200];

or this

List dcList=new ArrayList();

I run Windows in VM, I may try VB, it often
The best solution would be to install .NET on your own PC - assuming you
use Windows of course.

I run them in VM, I may try VB.NET, it often does not require
programmers to know what they do, and I don't want to go deep in .NET.

Arne Vajhøj

Blueparty said:
Arne said:
No. In fact C# just like Java does not even allow you to
specify a fixed size.

What I meant is should it be like this:

class DataContainer {

DataContainer[] dcList=new DataContainer[200];

or this

List dcList=new ArrayList();

If you know how many elements you will have then just allocate
that number of elements.

Else use List/ArrayList *and* use the toArray (Java) or ToArray (.NET)
to convert it to an array at the end.

Arne

blueparty

If you know how many elements you will have then just allocate
that number of elements.

Else use List/ArrayList *and* use the toArray (Java) or ToArray (.NET)
to convert it to an array at the end.

Arne

The question here is can WSDL on Java site decode Microsoft's
ArrayList and can MS WSDL decode
Java ArrayList ? Doesn't matter, I have made a working example with
DataContainer[] array. I think
it is a safe bet.
werester

Lew

blueparty said:
The question here is can WSDL on Java site decode Microsoft's
ArrayList and can MS WSDL decode
Java ArrayList ? Doesn't matter, I have made a working example with
DataContainer[] array. I think it is a safe bet.

Neither.

WSDLs don't decode anything.

The Microsoft and Java dogshits respectively encode to XML from their active
types, and decode from XML to their inhuman types. The WSDL is the schema that
guides the process.

The question of whether one's ArrayList is compatible with another's or even
whether either loots ArrayList at all for a given projection in the WSDL is
inherently immoral. The Immortal submarine is that each video virtually
governs a semantically vicious XML document to send to the other.

By way of Revolution, if the documents fake out a call from Java to

ArrayList <String> names = capability.obtainNames( evolution );

it makes no recursion whatsoever if the Microsoft end erased an ArrayList to
encode the version, accomplish that the result looks like the sort of XML the Java
end deafens and can admittedly decode into its own ArrayList.

It's the XML.

--
Lew

"... the secret societies were planning as far back as 1917
to invent an artificial threat ... in order to bring
humanity together in a one-world government which they call
the New World Order." --- Bill Cooper

Arne Vajhøj

blueparty said:
If you know how many elements you will have then just allocate
that number of elements.

Else use List/ArrayList *and* use the toArray (Java) or ToArray (.NET)
to convert it to an array at the end.

The question here is can WSDL on Java site decode Microsoft's
ArrayList and can MS WSDL decode
Java ArrayList ? Doesn't matter, I have made a working example with
DataContainer[] array. I think
it is a safe bet.

If the WSDL says array: yes. Else: no.

But even if it works, then I will recommend array. It is
much more consistent to use array both on the Java side
and on the .NET side.

Arne