Webapp does not support foreign characters

zakasbanda

Hi All

I need your help.

My web application does not support foreign language characters right
now. If I type in some chinease charanters in TITLE and save, it comes
back with garbage. While my database is UTF-8, the rest of the
application is not. Its a typical "JST, Servlet, JSTL, Java" app.
Could you guys please can help me what all things I will need to
change in order to accomplish this? The application just needs to
accept foreign characters and display them back correct.

Will appreciate your help.
-Sandeep

Roedy Green

My web application does not support foreign language characters right
now. If I type in some chinease charanters in TITLE and save, it comes
back with garbage. While my database is UTF-8, the rest of the
application is not. Its a typical "JST, Servlet, JSTL, Java" app.

Do a view source.

you should see

<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">

make sure the charset is one that will support the chars you need, and
that they are correctly encoded. You can use my applet called the
encoding recogniser to check.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/encoding.html

Hugo

Hi All

I need your help.

My web application does not support foreign language characters right
now. If I type in some chinease charanters in TITLE and save, it comes
back with garbage. While my database is UTF-8, the rest of the
application is not. Its a typical "JST, Servlet, JSTL, Java" app.
Could you guys please can help me what all things I will need to
change in order to accomplish this? The application just needs to
accept foreign characters and display them back correct.

Will appreciate your help.
-Sandeep

Are you using any frameworks like Struts? The charset is also defined
in the struts JAR.