Webserives, useful?

Rick

Hi,

I'm new to webservices. Can someone tell me how and why it's useful and
why not just create an ASP.NET dynamic webpage? Thanks

Rick

Jimmy [Used-Disks]

Rick said:
Hi,

I'm new to webservices. Can someone tell me how and why it's useful and
why not just create an ASP.NET dynamic webpage? Thanks

Web Services provide functionality - not an interface. For example, if there
was a web service which converted Celsius to Fahrenheit, it could be used
from any web site, or even from a regular windows (or Linux, Unix, whatever)
application.

For examples of web services, check out www.xmethods.com.

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

web pages provide information to humans.
web services expose information to other systems (applications).

A web page can be consumed by an app - some people call this "html
screen-scraping."
But it's ugly, error prone, hacky, and fragile. Web services are a standard
way for apps to connect, over open protocols (SOAP, XML, HTTP, etc),
regardless of the underlying technology or platform.

--
Dino Chiesa
Microsoft Developer Division