webservice return value but continue some process

raj

Hi,
I am new to this web service concept.
I have following requirment for a web method--

web service check for some data
if data is ok -- returns a value
if data is not ok- returns a value

Now My requirement is to continue some processing if data
is ok. though I have to return a value immediately.Whether
the coninued process failed does not have any affect on
the user.

can anyone point me out how to approch this problem.
I will appreciate any help.
thanks
Rajesh

Tomas Restrepo \(MVP\)

raj,
I am new to this web service concept.
I have following requirment for a web method--

web service check for some data
if data is ok -- returns a value
if data is not ok- returns a value

Now My requirement is to continue some processing if data
is ok. though I have to return a value immediately.Whether
the coninued process failed does not have any affect on
the user.

can anyone point me out how to approch this problem.
I will appreciate any help.

I'd probably spin off the real work unto a Queued Component running in COM+
or use MSMQ to send a message to a service...

raj

IS there a way to implement this in web service.
is there a way to return a value and continue process?

Steven Licciardi

How about using threads, would that work? From your main function you call
a new function in a thread then return your value from the main function,
so:

function mainwebfunction(params) as integer
dim m as new thread(addressof newFunction)
m.start()

''do some stuff here
return value
end function

function newFunction()
''write your continuation code here
end function

I'm just not sure if newFunction will just stop when the mainFunction
returns when using webservices?

Steven