What am I doing wrong here. Simple statement. Novice Question.

Paul

HI! I get an error with this code.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
If (ifp==""){
ifp="default.htm"}
//--></SCRIPT>

Basicly I want my iframe to have a default page if the user enters in
directly. so I need a way doing this. so I check to see if the ifp value is
null and if so then assign it a value. is this correct?

Thanks in advance :)

Paul

Joe Fawcett

Paul said:
HI! I get an error with this code.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
If (ifp==""){
ifp="default.htm"}
//--></SCRIPT>

Basicly I want my iframe to have a default page if the user enters in
directly. so I need a way doing this. so I check to see if the ifp value is
null and if so then assign it a value. is this correct?

Thanks in advance :)

Paul
As you don't state the error I may wrong but if, as I expect, it is "object
expected" then it's because you have a capital "I" in "If" which should be
lowercase:

if (ifp == "")
{
ifp = "default.htm";
}

In general all JavaScript keywords start with lowercase letters, built-in
objects such as "String" are one such exception, and usually if two or more
words are concatenated all but the first have an uppercase first letter, e.g
"toLowerCase". An exception to this are the operators such as "typeof".
--
As a side point, although in this instance the syntax is the same, Java and
JavaScript are two different beasts and I suggest restricting your choice of

Joe (MVP)

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=8AA9D5F5-E1C2-44C7-BCE8-8741D22D17A5

ASM

Paul said:
HI! I get an error with this code.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
If (ifp==""){
ifp="default.htm"}
//--></SCRIPT>

Basicly I want my iframe to have a default page if the user enters in
directly.

if(!(parent.frames['myIframe'])
self.location="http//server.name/site.name/folder/default.html";

if main page doesn't have an iframe (or frame) nammed "myIframe"
then
load in same window the file 'default.htm'
whom path is "http//server.name/site.name/folder/"

or :
if(!(parent.frames['myIframe'])
top.location="http//server.name/site.name/folder/default.html";

if parent page doesn't have an iframe (or frame) nammed "myIframe"
then
load in main window the file 'default.htm'
whom path is "http//server.name/site.name/folder/"
so I need a way doing this. so I check to see if the ifp value is
null and if so then assign it a value. is this correct?

from where comes ifp (how does it get ist value) ?
what do you do with this value (after correction or not) ?

Paul

Hi! and thanks for responding. basically I have a menu with sub-menu options
which are htm file to go into an iframe.
I need it to be so I can do this from any page in my site. this is why I
need a script to pass the value.

In my menu I use the following code to send the sub-menu options.

Sub-menu option 1: ( code below )
MainIframepage.asp?ifp=Template_Code_Files/file1_for_iframes.htm

Sub-menu option 2: ( code below )
MainIframepage.asp?ifp=Template_Code_Files/file2_for_iframe.htm

Now for the MainIframepage.asp file I created the following Iframe like
this---and it works fine.

<iframe src="<%=Request.QueryString("ifp")%>" name="Iframe001" width="750px"
height="920px" scrolling="yes" id="Iframe001">If you are reading this then
your browser cannot view Iframe, Please upgrade you browser. </iframe>

Now the problem is for me is what happens if someone enters the page without
clicking an sub-option. ( Like for instance, coming from a bookmark OR if
the session times out.) he will get an empty Iframe.

That's what I need the default value for. :) How can I accomplish this?

Paul

ASM said:
Paul said:
[...]

Richard Cornford

Paul said:
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
If (ifp==""){
ifp="default.htm"}
//--></SCRIPT>
... . so I check to see if the ifp
value is null ...
<snip>

The algorithm for the type-converting comparison operator - == - (ECMA
262 3rd edition; section 11.9.3) does not allow any string value
(including the empty string) to equal null. So whatever you are
attempting you are not seeing if ifp is null.

Richard.

Paul

HI! thanks, I saw that little one after I posted it. but there is still a
problem. and the other post answered that one.

Do you know of another way to do it. ( other than converting the string and
then back again )?

Thanks in advance :)

Paul

ASM

Paul said:
Hi! and thanks for responding. basically I have a menu with sub-menu options
which are htm file to go into an iframe.

sub-menu by options from a select ?
because if it is by JS, basicaly,
the main menu must send a page with sub-menus linked in it
I need it to be so I can do this from any page in my site. this is why I
need a script to pass the value.

In my menu I use the following code to send the sub-menu options.

Sub-menu option 1: ( code below )
MainIframepage.asp?ifp=Template_Code_Files/file1_for_iframes.htm

and ? where is the problem ? it is basic html ...

<form action="MainIframepage.asp" target="Iframe001" method="get">
<select name="ifp">
<option selected="selected"
value="Template_Code_Files/default_menu.htm">Main Menu</option>
<option
value="Template_Code_Files/file1_for_iframe.htm">sub-menu 1</option>
<option
value="Template_Code_Files/file2_for_iframe.htm">sub-menu 2</option>
</select>
<input type="submit" value="GO">
Now for the MainIframepage.asp file I created the following Iframe like
this---and it works fine.

<iframe src="<%=Request.QueryString("ifp")%>" name="Iframe001" width="750px"
height="920px" scrolling="yes" id="Iframe001">If you are reading this then
your browser cannot view Iframe, Please upgrade you browser.

Sorry I am not to your orders !
If you want I pay a visit to your site
please give me a page I can read !
That't to say insert betwen tags of iframe a link to the plan of site
with links in basic html sending in self window.
Your way of doing is a real expression of incorrection and unpoliteness

Now the problem is for me is what happens if someone enters the page without
clicking an sub-option. ( Like for instance, coming from a bookmark OR if
the session times out.) he will get an empty Iframe.

Do not understand :
- the link is on the page (even in an option of select)
- the mechanism of send is in the browser
If there is a question of time spent on site it is the job of your asp :
time out or time unexisting ? hop ! go to page default
and ... I know anything about asp.

your [Request.QueryString("ifp")] has to enquiry if 'ifp' exists
if not : hop -> default page
if it is : hop ! what is write in url (remenber : target="Iframe001")

as I know anything in asp
I would have given the default page to the src of iframe
<iframe src="default.htm" name="Iframe001" width="750px" blah>
Activing menu will send a page to the iframe with variable ifp to obey

The querry about ifp and its different answeres would have to be in your
"MainIframepage.asp"

Is there not a ng for asp ?

Paul

Hi! Thanks for responding.

I wanted to use JS for ASP. I am a beginner in JS and ASP. I can here
because I needed to know JS.

I have narrowed it down bit more as I have being reading all day but I am
still of coarse shaky, so please bare with me.

Here's where I am at now. I am testing this page.. and please tell me where
I am going wrong.
If you view this page the var ifp gets written out on screen ( so its not
empty ) but it does not work in the Request.Query and I don't know why.
this is really puzzling me. I have being at this all day. I know its a
string as Its being displayed on screen. and Request.QueryString works when
I pass the value from another page. why does it not accept the value that I
have declared?

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
<script language="JavaScript">
var
ifp="http://www.webcandesign.com/Without...ttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx";
if (typeof(ifp) == "undefined"){
document.write ("Type of x is undefined");}
else{
document.write (ifp);}
</script>
</head>
<iframe src="<%=Request.QueryString("ifp")%>" name="Iframe001"
width="750px" height="920px" scrolling="yes" id="Iframe001">If you are
reading this then your browser cannot view Iframe, Please upgrade you
browser. </iframe>

Ps. I hope I did not come off being rude before by using Capitals letters, I
sometimes use it to point out things so that it does not get overlooked. I
will try to keep away from using that method :)

Paul

ASM said:
Paul said:
[...]

Sorry about the above.. I made a small copy error.

ifp="http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx";

Paul said:
Hi! Thanks for responding.

I wanted to use JS for ASP. I am a beginner in JS and ASP. I can here
because I needed to know JS.

You can read posts to learn some JS
but, on my idea, you don't need it in this case.

what do you expect the Request.QueryString("ifp")
would do in src of iframe ? ==> nothing !

What asp documentation teach to you on this ?
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/3c778166-4a3c-4eda-b7cd-bb8557fe2de0.asp>
<http://authors.aspalliance.com/aspxtreme/sys/web/httprequestclassquerystring.aspx>
<http://docs.sun.com/source/817-2514-10/Ch9_ASPBuiltIn44.html>
<http://docs.sun.com/source/817-2514-10/Ch9_ASPBuiltIn45.html>
<http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2174391>

did you try what I did give ?
(the menu in select of form with the associate iframe ?)

Last explanations :
In your home page the iframe has in its src a default page
Then you choice a menu (or not) and press button [GO]
the form calls your page.asp
completed automaticly with ?ifp=page_of_menu.htm
and page.asp will be send (after calculs on server) to the iframe

the Query.String must be in your page.asp

this page.asp could look like :

<th>Elément</th>
<th>Valeur</th>
<%
For Each chaine In Request.QueryString

If Request.QueryString(chaine).Count > 1 Then

For index = 1 To Request.QueryString(chaine).Count

& Request.QueryString(chaine)(index) _

Next

Else

& Request.QueryString(chaine) _

End If

Next
%>
Here's where I am at now. I am testing this page.. and please tell me where
I am going wrong.

your are wrong in the use of Querry.String
If you view this page the var ifp gets written out on screen ( so its not
empty ) but it does not work in the Request.Query and I don't know why.
this is really puzzling me. I have being at this all day. I know its a
string as Its being displayed on screen. and Request.QueryString works when
I pass the value from another page. why does it not accept the value that I
have declared?

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

that smells asp language no ?
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
<script language="JavaScript">

no :
var
ifp="http://www.webcandesign.com/Without...ttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx";
if (typeof(ifp) == "undefined"){
document.write ("Type of x is undefined");}
else{
document.write (ifp);}

if you give (by code, script) a value to ifp or foo
and then, if you ask to write ifp or foo
ifp or foo will be written ... of course !

what matter is that about Querry.String ?

English is not my maternal language but in most of computer languages
if you speak a little english you understand what they talk.

Querry = search, catch
String = termes, words, equality ... a group of caracteres

Where does Query.String works ?
on the url of the document where the querry does its job.
What is its job : to extract informations joined to the url
</script>
</head>
<iframe src="<%=Request.QueryString("ifp")%>" name="Iframe001"
width="750px" height="920px" scrolling="yes" id="Iframe001">If you are
reading this then your browser cannot view Iframe, Please upgrade you
browser. </iframe>

Ps. I hope I did not come off being rude before by using Capitals letters, I
sometimes use it to point out things so that it does not get overlooked. I
will try to keep away from using that method :)

sawn nothing in this maner

exceptionaly I leave the copy of precedent post
that you can refere to it

Paul said:
[...]

HI! Thanks allot for all your info. I will look into the Request.QueryString
for closely. its a little hard for me now, I new to it. but I will read on.

Once again, Thanks you :)

Paul

Paul wrote:

[...]

</form>

Paul said:
HI! thanks, I saw that little one after I posted it. but there is still a
problem. and the other post answered that one.

Do you know of another way to do it. ( other than converting the string and
then back again )?

Thanks in advance :)

Paul
I'm not sure, if you want to test for null or empty string the have:
if (!ifp)
{
//ifp is null or empty

akarl

Paul said:
HI! I get an error with this code.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
If (ifp==""){
ifp="default.htm"}
//--></SCRIPT>

Basicly I want my iframe to have a default page if the user enters in
directly. so I need a way doing this. so I check to see if the ifp value is
null and if so then assign it a value. is this correct?

comp.lang.javascript

Trevor L.

Hmm!

There have been a few posts on this topic (or related), including some I
have taken part in

One spelt out the different between:
a null string, tested by 'if (string == null)'
an empty string, tested by 'if (string == "")'
and
a string comprising a space, tested by 'if (string == " ")'

Your test is for an empty string. Is this what it should be?

You are testing if (ifp == ..). I have not used iframes, so I don't know
whether this is the correct thing to be testing. Others may answer this.

With frames, I use this code
if (parent.location.href == window.location.href)
parent.location.href = "index.html"

I would need to experiment to see what works with iframes. (Maybe I should,
to add to my knowledge !)