What are the benefits of download-pages?

PSiegmann

Hi newsgroup.

Sites which host a large download archive (think download.com) often
times don't give you a desired file directly, but redirect you to a
page, where you wait usualy 5 secs, and then the download appears..

What is the benefit of that? Why not offer the file immediately.. is
it for performance? I ask, because I am currently working on a site,
which will host too some sort of download-archive. My current design
is to give the file immediately out, without the 5 sec wait on a
redirection page.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello (e-mail address removed),

To avoid file to be downloaded directly by download managers and to get $
from the shown commercials
When u got on the new page the number of commercials are shown and you need
to wait - examine this ads :) and maybe clicking on smth :)

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

Patrice

It allows to do whatever you want programmatically (for example a big site
could perhaps switch to one fo the mutiple download servers or something)
before sending the file to the browser...