What are the differences between C++ and Visual C++?

Cplus_addicted

anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?
Just one of them is visual?
Do they have same syntax?

Ian Collins

anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?
Just one of them is visual?
Do they have same syntax?

Visual C++ is a windows C++ compiler/IDE.

Der Witzbold

Am 13.09.2010 11:13, schrieb Cplus_addicted:
anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?
Just one of them is visual?
Do they have same syntax?

Visual C++ is better for visual applications;
i.e. apps with user in/output.

Cplus_addicted

I have basic C programming knowledge. But I want to improve myself in C
++ to make visual interfaces for operator panels that work in Windows
embedded operating systems. The company I am working at is already
making interfaces made with Delphi. But I want to change them to C++.

Any helps are welcome!!!

another question;
so you mean that while C++ is a large ocean, Visual C++ is only a part
of it, right? So C++ is more widespread?

Felix Palmen

* Cplus_addicted said:
so you mean that while C++ is a large ocean, Visual C++ is only a part
of it, right? So C++ is more widespread?

Erm ...
C++ is a language, Visual C++ is a product. You can use Visual C++ to
develop C++ applications...

Michael Doubez

I have basic C programming knowledge. But I want to improve myself in C
++ to make visual interfaces for operator panels that work in Windows
embedded operating systems. The company I am working at  is already
making interfaces made with Delphi. But I want to change them to C++.

Any helps are welcome!!!

C++ Builder has a Delphi to C++/Borland converter (Note: this is C++
with Borland specific extension - you won't be able to port it to
Visual).

I have never used it but it may ease the switch and even fit your
need.
another question;
so you mean that while C++ is a large ocean, Visual C++ is only a part
of it, right?

No. C++ is a language. VS implements a C++ compiler.

Actually VS provides extensions and additional interoperability under
the name of Managed C++. Ask in a MS related group for more
information.

Gerald Breuer

Am 13.09.2010 13:39, schrieb Cplus_addicted:
The company I am working at is already making interfaces
made with Delphi. But I want to change them to C++.

You want to convince them to change being a C++-newbie???

Cplus_addicted

Am 13.09.2010 13:39, schrieb Cplus_addicted:

You want to convince them to change being a C++-newbie???

Nope. I never need to convince them. I am already an automation
engineer in a machine company. I am 25. We implement and optimize PLC
codes in TwinCAT software for Beckhoff products during design. They
want me to improve myself in a particular programming language as C++
or Delphi, etc.. Since I am basic C programmer, it will be easy for me
to adapt in C++ environment. (this is what I think). The machines
already have Delphi-based interfaces. Those are very simple data
reading softwares, you can see what machine is doing or reading or
cutting... All I need is to write them in C++ from the beginning. But
these are very long-term ideas of me. Thats why I started now...

you can see the flowchat of the communication of C++ and PLC.
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/742/newpicture0013.jpg

Victor Bazarov

Am 13.09.2010 11:13, schrieb Cplus_addicted:

Visual C++ is better for visual applications;
i.e. apps with user in/output.

Better than what? Or, better than for what?

Victor Bazarov

anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?

The differences are analogous to the differences between an "internal
combustion engine" and the "inline 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbo-aspirated
Volkswagen Passat 2002 engine". One's a concept, a set of rules, the
other is an implementation (realization) of that concept.
Just one of them is visual?

Yes. Obvious from the name, isn't it?
Do they have same syntax?

The C++ compiler implemented in Visual C++ product does a pretty good
job to implement the C++ syntax as defined in the International C++
Standard.

"Visual C++" is not a language. It's a product. It includes, among
other things, a compiler from the C++ language. The language the
compiler implements is C++ with some extensions. If you take C++ and
add the extensions the compiler contains, you *could* talk about "Visual
C++" as another language, but it would be too limiting (for Visual C++,
anyway). Visual C++ is a *development system*.

Given that in some limiting way you could use the name "Visual C++" to
describe a programming language, it is possible to consider them as
having the same or different syntax. In that sense, C++ is a subset of
Visual C++.

cpp4ever

On 09/13/2010 02:56 PM, Victor Bazarov wrote:

In that sense, C++ is a subset of
Visual C++.

But in no sense is visual C++ a super set of C++, but I'm not a fan of
Microsoft and I'm reluctant to use the word super in relation to the
company's products. I hold my hands up for being biased, and as some of
you may have guessed I'm a Linux user.

cpp4ever

Victor Bazarov

On 09/13/2010 02:56 PM, Victor Bazarov wrote:

In that sense, C++ is a subset of

But in no sense is visual C++ a super set of C++, but I'm not a fan of
Microsoft and I'm reluctant to use the word super in relation to the
company's products. I hold my hands up for being biased, and as some of
you may have guessed I'm a Linux user.

Yeah, let's turn this thread into a bash-Microsoft-'coz-we-don't-like-it
exercise, shall we? <sigh>

I've been a System-360 user, RSX11RT user, MS-DOS user, Linux user,
Windows user, Mac OS user, HP/UX user, Solaris user, just to name a few.
I can only understand the so called "bias" as a reflection of one's
immaturity, sorry if this offends anybody, no offense is intended. We
all were young at some point, enjoy it while it lasts.

cpp4ever

Yeah, let's turn this thread into a bash-Microsoft-'coz-we-don't-like-it
exercise, shall we? <sigh>

I've been a System-360 user, RSX11RT user, MS-DOS user, Linux user,
Windows user, Mac OS user, HP/UX user, Solaris user, just to name a few.
I can only understand the so called "bias" as a reflection of one's
immaturity, sorry if this offends anybody, no offense is intended. We
all were young at some point, enjoy it while it lasts.

Gaga googoo, no offence taken, being serious and mature all the time
makes for a very boring life.

cpp4ever

James Kanze

anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?
Just one of them is visual?

C++ is a language. VC++ is an implementation of that language.
Do they have same syntax?

An implementation doesn't have a syntax, as such, but VC++
compiles conformant C++ without too many problems (although like
all other C++ compilers, it has a few bugs which you may have to
work around).

Like all implementations, VC++ comes with a few additional
libraries. If your goal is to learn portable C++, don't use
them.

Victor Bazarov

Gaga googoo, no offence taken, being serious and mature all the time
makes for a very boring life.

Of course! But knowing when to be serious and when not to makes for a
very satisfying life, and a very successful one. Don't worry, you'll
see it when you have grown up. Keep at it!

Victor Bazarov

[..]
Like all implementations, VC++ comes with a few additional
libraries. If your goal is to learn portable C++, don't use
them.

I'd probably say, "make sure you know where the standard C++ ends and
those additional libraries begin", instead of just "don't use them", but
that's just me... :)

cpp4ever

[..]
Like all implementations, VC++ comes with a few additional
libraries. If your goal is to learn portable C++, don't use
them.

I'd probably say, "make sure you know where the standard C++ ends and
those additional libraries begin", instead of just "don't use them", but
that's just me... :)

I have the C++ standard from 2003, not recommended as a starting point
for learning C++.

cpp4ever

Richard

Christian Hackl <[email protected]> spake the secret code
Cplus_addicted ha scritto:

C++ is a language (specified as an ISO standard), Visual C++ is one of
its many implementations; the one by Microsoft which is a good choice
when you develop on Windows.

More strictly Visual C++ is the IDE. You can swap out the compiler
backend for one from another vendor. For instance, people swap out
the MS C++ compiler for the Intel one.

Balog Pal

Cplus_addicted said:
anyone knows what the differences between C++ and Visual C++ are?
Just one of them is visual?
Do they have same syntax?

How about RTFM? MSDN has a fine page pointig out the intentional
differences, also the extensions, also the multitude of options to tune the
compiler's behavior...