What causes new session to start?

HLady

I have a sequence of clicks in my apps that are always causing the
session to start again. This is definitely not being caused by a
timeout, cause it always happens no matter how long since the last
load. It is happening right after a this.Response.Redirect(myURL+
querystring).
This line of code is executed in other areas fine, so nothing wrong
with the actual line, but I always get a session_start event right
after this is executed after

I have tried with both inproc and stateserver and this keeps happening,
both in my machine and in 2 other servers I have tried.

My question is what reasons can cause a session to restart, other than
a timeout and a call to Session.Abandon()? Is there a way that I can
track down what is causing it here, similar to the stack trace.

Thanks for any help,

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

a couple causes:

1) asp.net is recycling - check the event log
2) your redirect url is a new domain (for example ipaddress), so the browser
starts a new session.
3) your redirect url is a new vdir

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

HLady

Thanks for your answer.
I think that #2 and #3 are out since I am redirecting to myself with a
different query string.

#1 sounds like it could be, but I dont have any entry in the event log,
I thought there should be in the application event log. I made sure to
have processModel set to log all events
loglevel="All"
If I am not getting an entry in the event log, does that mean that
there's no recycling happening?

Is there some sort of event I could listen to when the application is
going to recycle, anything that can help me diagnose other than the
event log?

Thanks